I've had it!

olyclimber

There's this concept in linguistics called universal pragmatics. This is to say, I could learn to speak fluent Russian, but lacking a deeper connection with its cultural context it's not likely that I would ever recognize irony or satire when I heard it.

Forget your fluent russian, you have hard time with grasping any concepts in your native language.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...it's not likely that I would ever recognize irony or satire when I heard it.

And how's that different from what you're working with now?

You're probably right. For example, I failed to recognize any humor at all in your post earlier this summer:

Bummer to hear about Eric Wedge. Just when the Mariners were starting to find their stroke.

You're probably right. For example, I failed to recognize any humor at all in your post earlier this summer:

Bummer to hear about Eric Wedge. Just when the Mariners were starting to find their stroke.

Ah yes, thank you for the chance to both revisit this late-summer gem and for the opportunity for a 'teachable moment'. You see Fairweather, the humor in the post derives from what we call a 'play on words'. The word 'stroke' carries a double meaning here, taking on its usages both to hit a baseball and to denote a cerebrovascular accident. The wordplay here takes on a playfully sardonic dimension when considered in the context of the Mariners' continued mismanagement and epic suckitude under Wedge, who as it seems, was more interested in sucking on chili dogs and Kools during his tenure than bringing this ragged shitstain of a franchise close to something remotely resembling .500. I hope that helps.

Ah yes, thank you for the chance to both revisit this late-summer gem and for the opportunity for a 'teachable moment'. You see Fairweather, the humor in the post derives from what we call a 'play on words'. The word 'stroke' carries a double meaning here, taking on its usages both to hit a baseball and to denote a cerebrovascular accident. The wordplay here takes on a playfully sardonic dimension when considered in the context of the Mariners' continued mismanagement and epic suckitude under Wedge, who as it seems, was more interested in sucking on chili dogs and Kools during his tenure than bringing this ragged shitstain of a franchise close to something remotely resembling .500. I hope that helps.

Leftylib compassion for fellow human being. Now I get it! It will be also much funny when the cigarette-smoking shistain suckituder in the White House who is presently resemble .360 strokes out in similar way. I will make satire and irony then because stroke is also golf 240 times to be lazy and stroke is also ego which is him. This will be triple irony wordplay and you will laugh too surely.

Leftylib compassion for fellow human being. Now I get it! It will be also much funny when the cigarette-smoking shistain suckituder in the White House who is presently resemble .360 strokes out in similar way. I will make satire and irony then because stroke is also golf 240 times to be lazy and stroke is also ego which is him. This will be triple irony wordplay and you will laugh too surely.

Get a life, dumbass.

There is no humor in your stroke post, no matter how you try to adorn it with prose. You're not funny or clever - you're just a douche-nozzle, pure and simple.

I think I liked it better when I thought that FW was just really passionate about bolting and the direction the sport was going. Elitist but based on standards and principals.

But now I know that he is just a blowhard like the rest of the folks in spray.

:)

[video:youtube]dKia7Xj34MQ

assuming you are not joking, are you saying that you are against everything? An angry old man? Why is being happy 24 hrs a day a bad thing?

Chinese Downhill awards speech?

I'm gonna spread around some fucking happiness here if it kills me.

Here's a cool random happy story.

Overall life is pretty good here in the 21st century in the US of A. Keep smiling, it only pisses off the hopeless malcontents like Prole :-)

And Gawd, look at that sun and views we've had. A great weekend to enjoy life in the PNW!