Putting On Fat

Dru

I have decided to put on some body fat in preparation for a 2 week ice climbing trip that will involve a lot of sleeping outside in -20 C and stuff like that. On previous trips I have found that I burn up body fat quickly under such conditions and shiver constantly during the enmd of the trip.

Currently I am 5' 11 1/2" and weigh approx. 160 lbs ( dont have a scale). I figure since I am climbing regularily and get some moderate exercise on the weekdays like hiking/walking (average 5km/day) and bouldering a bit that rather than stop exercising, the best thing to do is just increase calorie intake and eat more fat for the 2 weeks prior to my departure. So what Im trying is just eating more waffles, bacon, etc instead of oatmeal for breakfast, and more meat and oil in the dinner choices. Also upgraded bigdrink.gif to a dark beer per night (more calories). I figure if I can put on about 5 lbs in 2 weeks that will last me thru 2 weeks of cold weather and high exertion and should add as much warmth as wearing a light fleece for the first week or so and keep me at normal warmth the second week.

Does anyone have experience with adding on temporary body fat, how successful were you and did it work ? laugh.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eating more calories will help you put on weight. Those calories don't have to be from fat. Just eat more and more often. It isn't clear whether a high fat diet (70% calories from fat) affects athletic performance negatively, or not. But I don't think it's a good idea to alter your diet profile significantly unless you've got a crappy diet. I've used Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies to gain weight. I've also eaten a couple with a glass of milk for a late night snack to prevent shivering.

I've tried to pack on weight before long outings before as well. Works pretty well, as I can never seem to eat enough to replace the calories that I burn when I'm outside for any length of time.

As far as putting on weight in a hurry is concerned, in my experience the only thing that matters is consuming way more calories than you expend every single day. It doesn't seem to make any difference where they come from (sorta what you'd expect unless humans are exempt from the laws of thermodynamics), except that when you're putting down 5,000 to 6,000 calories a day eating stuff that you actually like and/or is easy on your constitution makes the process easier.

I'm 5'10" and usually weigh between 165 and 175lbs at any given time, and have found that if I want to pack on the pounds in a short time I have to put away like 2,000 calories above what I eat to maintain my normal weight. For me, the "BeefChub4000" type calorie shakes they sell at supplement stores are usually the easiest was to add that many calories in a given day - otherwise I'd be spending all of my time cooking.

But there's always everyone's favorite:

HCL.gif

So what Im trying is just eating more waffles, bacon, etc instead of oatmeal for breakfast, and more meat and oil in the dinner choices. Also upgraded to a dark beer per night (more calories).

Dru, I see no real comitment here. I don't even want to know what you ate before, you are a disgrace to manhood. If you were serious about this weight gain project you would be eating 2 waffles for breakfast sandwiched around peanut butter, nutella, 4 eggs over easy, whipcream and strawberry jam. For lunch, no less than 4 pieces of pizza dripping with cheese and grease. A snickers bar and quart of chocolate milk for snack and 2 packs of macaroni and cheese, 1/2 loaf of frech bread dunked in olive oil for dinner with an entire bottle of Cabernet or Zinfindel. Desert must be at least half of a quart of icecream with appropriate toppings. Don't be a fricking whiner either, I eat like that at least once a week.

It's probably why I can't haul my ass up Libra Crack. fruit.gif

Eat 6 tablespoons of peanut butter in the morning and the evening. If you are working out you will put on 2 pounds of muscle a week, but if you aren't you'll just get fat.

<cartmenvoice>Orrrr you can eat lots of cheesy puffs like me and beefcake beefcake</cartmenvoice>

Instead of building fat before the trip why don't you include the high fat diet ON the trip. I add copious amounts of butter to soup, pasta, mashed potatoes, and eat soups with butter for breakfast on trips. I'm also bringing along some back bacon on a ski trip this week to fry up in the bottom of my pot, mmmmmmm fat hahaha.gif . A large supply of candy around camp insures your body will use sugar energy to stay warm and not precious fat. I wonder if there's any truth to my reasoning?

I hope you have better luck than I do. I worked 6 months trying to put on fat for Denali, and only gained 5lbs - wich was gone and turned into 10lbs of muscle by the time I returned.

Let us know what you did and how it turned out.

If you sleep cold - try a hot water bottle. Once I learned to fill the Nalgene up as much as possible, then shake it up and release the presure a few times, I've never had one leak. The water bottle works great for my terminaly cold feet. If you don't want to spend the fuel, use a chemical heat pack or one of those slow burning lighter fluid modles (pocket warmers).

Remember if you eat too big a meal before bed, all your blood will be tranfered to your stomach to aid in digestion and may not keep you as warm.

I hope the ice god smiles upon your trip.

Bronco has the right idea, Dru, you just need to consume the right food. It has worked for me since I was a teen, with momentary lapses, I have remained pleasantly tubby since high school.

Think cheese.

jhamaker, you might try a women's sleeping bag for foot warmth. If you are not too tall, a long might work. Most of them have extra down in the feet. No onw ould know you are using a women's bag, they don't have Oprah graphics all over them or anything, and your feet will be toasty. That is the main feature I've found in women's bags, that and the fact that a regular is too short for my taller-than-your-average-woman frame.

Avocados. Actors chow avocados to gain weight quickly for certain roles. Avocados go down easier than blocks of cheese and are less disgusting than fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Plus in addition to good old guacamole, you can make stuff like Avocado Basil Chicken Breasts, Avocado Ceviche, Avocado Chutney with Chicken Curry, Avocado Schnitzel , Avocado-Cilantro Bagel Spread, Avocado Cornbread Stuffing, Cajun-Style Avocado Fritters with Creole Mustard-Apricot Sauce, Bruschetta with Avocado and Basil, Avocado Shrimp Cocktail, Cream of Avocado Soup, Curried Avocado Triangles with Fresh Mint Sauce, Guanajuato Avocado Omelettes, Prawn and Avocado Pate, Pesto Avocado Tortas and Avocado Hash Browns.