The Perfect Vehicle???

Necronomicon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fair amount of money. While the mileage is low for the age of the truck, the vehicle is still 14 years old. Don't get me wrong, we love our Toyota truck and you can drive the thing into the ground.

I've been snake-bitten buying used cars in the past. I strongly urge you to have a mechanic look at it before buying it. The money you put up front will defin. save you in the long run. wink.gif

I'd also start bartering with the person. Also what are the extras? Extended cab, canopy, AC, radio, power windows-locks? Is this person the orginal owner?

Can they provide receipts to work that has been done? If they say nothing has been done on it, that is BS right there. IT doesn't matter how great a vehicle it is, everything needs a little tweaking and minor repairs from time to time. We just had a new radiator put in our '93 Toyota truck, along with valve adjustment, brake pads, oxygen sensor.

If anything, have a mechanic look at it. pitty.gif

You shouldn't pay even close to that much. Pull out the Crisco, it indeed does seem like you're getting cornholed. Those Edmunds prices are also in line with Kelly Blue Book: http://www.kbb.com

It's not often you find a 4x4 with 150k miles in "mint" condition, unless it was driven only by a soccer mom, but at that price I wouldn't even waste the time or $ to have a mechanic look at it. Without figuring in possible A/C and other significant value-added options such as DLX model vs. SR5, extended cab, bed length, etc., KBB has the following values for the spec's you gave:

dealer retail: $3660

private party: $2665

Now I would pay these prices for that Toyota rig, as it is one of the more dependable, longer-lasting vehicles out there, and those inevitable repairs and part replacements of an older vehicle are generally less expensive for Toyotas vs. other makes. My own little '94 Toy 4x4 has 230k miles and has many years left in it.

pindude writes

..... Pull out the Crisco, it indeed does seem like you're getting cornholed.

Throw me in with the ankle grabbers, i guess,

cause

I dropped 7k 2 years ago on a '90 Toy 4 runner-132,000mi, the timing belt had just been replaced. I have dumped no cash since except normal oil/filter changes etc. Ac, cruise cd/tuner etc.

I noticed the other day that I have shred a cv boot and will need to repair it but other than that no probs.

I seem to remember that Toyota had problems with the head gasket in 89 and 90? only on the v-6. There should be a recall notice posted somewhere due to this.

At the time most rigs were priced about 2k more than what I paid. But WTF it is a Toyota. (I still miss my old beater at the TH though)

I have a 95 4Runner that I bought with 37,000 and now has 120,000. It has been a great, reliable car. Repairs are much less frequent that my previous Big-3 cars (including a Jeep CJ7 and a Fiero), but Toyota parts and repair work are expensive.

I was also concerned about the head gasket issue, which affects the 4Runners through 1995, but I was told by Michael's Toyota in Bellevue that the factory has agreed to cover head gasket repairs of affected vehicles regardless of age or mileage.

As to price, I got so sick of the inflated prices in the Puget Sound area that I ended up buying my 4Runner in Bend, Oregon. I think I bought it in 1998 and paid $17,500. Similar vehicles here were in the $25k range.

No man, don't do it, unless you like getting corn-holed. And if you do, I swear I can get you corn-holed for cheaper than $6,500. That's an expensive corn-holing, which means they better be good. Did you ask them? Do they have experience in the corn-holing business?

Ok, here's the deal: I'll corn-hole you for only $3,250. That's a half-price corn-holing. And let me tell you: When I'm corn-holing, corn is flying EVERYwhere, man. There'll be enough corn flying to feed all of Mexico, man. Vicente won't have to suck on GW's dick no more. Shit, I'll erase Nebraska off the US map! Get locked into your futures now, cuz the corn's gonna be flying! And hey, if you're wanting references, check with cptcaveman. I corn-holed him real good, and he loved it!

I have an '89 toyota truck 4x4. I found it from the original owner with lot's of records on the work done. They need to be loved not abused. It had lot's of miles on it, 222000miles but it was from Nevada and most of them where Highway miles (makes a difference, the wear less on the engin and trans). Alittle rust in the bed (replaceable) with a canopy. It was offered for $2600 and I got it for $2000. This was back in Jan of this year. No extra cab, that will run you an extra $2000, just to think about it. But the payoff is you can park it in town. They go faster then snot, when offered. But an '89 that looks mint has been worked on, for sure. Most people that own them love to use then for mud machines, that's really hard on the engin and the trany. Find out about the use, a little more about the history and you'll know if you are being taken. If any car sits for awhile it's going to have problems with the hydrolics (the little ribber seals just wear out if you don't use them), that means that the breaks are going to be shot and if it's a fuel injection that would be risky too. I'd be suspicious about the amout of time it sat around... Some one said that the head has problems in that year, 'tis true. Get a mechanic to check it out. A buyers inspection, they'll tell you the issues...

buy safe, good luck

they are great trucks...