Interesting Story

JayB

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 years w/o vodka - utter madness - missing out on the joys of stalinism *might* have been worth the sacrifice though?

Not according to Stone and Kuznick.

Speaking of Stalinism, I read a book called "Red Plenty" not too long ago that you might enjoy.

Historical fiction about the attempt to translate great-grand-daddy Karl's assorted musings into a way to coordinate the production of wheat, tires, engineers and vodka without using prices. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Plenty-Francis-Spufford/dp/1555976042

Economist Review:

http://www.economist.com/node/16843647

reading "a bridge too far at the moment" - not sure if a book on economics would be best for my bedside :)

-There's a subtext of economics humming along faintly in the background but it's basically an attempt to capture the zeitgeist in the Kruschev era by following a semi-fictional cast of characters through that time.

Scan through this chapter and you'll get a sense of what's in there. You may decide it's not your cup of tea but it certainly doesn't read like a treatise :

http://books.google.com/books?id=PioE2EDcuMsC&pg=PT241&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

-More "misunderstood/misrepresented" than "cool" if I understand them correctly. Not an interpretation I share but the existence of people with viewpoints like Stone/Kuznick's is fascinating.

Some back and forth:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/21/oliver-stone-defends-his-the-untold-history-of-the-united-states.html

-More "misunderstood/misrepresented" than "cool" if I understand them correctly. Not an interpretation I share but the existence of people with viewpoints like Stone/Kuznick's is fascinating.

seems logical that the same crowd that brought us the magical domino theory, long since swept into the dustbin of history, might have made the soviet boogey-man out to be a tad worse than he really was - that said, i met a chick once who'd grown up in the ukraine in the 30s and ended up in auschwitz in the 40s, and she hated stalin far more than hitler :)

seems logical that the same crowd that brought us the magical domino theory, long since swept into the dustbin of history, might have made the soviet boogey-man out to be a tad worse than he really was - that said, i met a chick once who'd grown up in the ukraine in the 30s and ended up in auschwitz in the 40s, and she hated stalin far more than hitler :)

Ironically enough the Soviet union was a far more brutal, ruthless, implaccable, and murderous enemy of the people inside its border than it ever could have been to those outside of its borders due to the "internal contradictions" of communism. The desire was there, the material capacity to do so wasn't, and never could have been.

The technical subtext lurking underneath the stories in Spufford's book hints at the reasons why this was the case.

and yet stalin is still held in high regard by russians today?

the soviet revolution seems a great example of how few revolutions change anything - repressive governmetn was already a hallmark of russian history, and it seems to be something russians, for whatever reason, have contented themselves with. stalin secularized the language and justifications, and used the modern tools at his disposal to carry it all out - i'm not certain peter the great would have been any different - jesus christ, didn't they just throw a couple of chicks in the clink for 20 years for saying mean things about putin and the fucking church? what's changed?

Edited by ivan

"One ping only"

amusingly, watching that movie that night before i signed up for classes my first year of college was the whole reason i ended up studying russian language and history for the next two years - I wanted to be sean connery (as a russian) :)

Incredible! Thanks for sharing that Jay.

Todays news coincides with a book I was going to recommend. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_RUSSIA_STALINGRAD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-31-06-54-20

MOSCOW (AP) -- The southern Russian city where the Red Army decisively turned back Nazi forces in a key World War II battle will once again be known as Stalingrad, at least on the days commemorating the victory, the regional legislature declared Thursday.

The city was renamed Volgograd in 1961 as part of the Soviet Union's rejection of dictator Joseph Stalin's personality cult. But the name Stalingrad is inseparable with the historic battle, which was among the bloodiest in history with combined losses of nearly 2 million people.

book - Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942-1943 http://www.amazon.com/Stalingrad-Fateful-1942-1943-Antony-Beevor/dp/0140284583/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359662574&sr=1-1&keywords=Stalingrad

was the whole reason i ended up studying russian language and history for the next two years - I wanted to be sean connery (as a russian) :)

Where did it all go wrong, Vanya? LOL

later i decided i just wanted to be sean connery from indiana jones :)

was the whole reason i ended up studying russian language and history for the next two years - I wanted to be sean connery (as a russian) :)

Where did it all go wrong, Vanya? LOL

later i decided i just wanted to be sean connery from indiana jones :)

I mean, I saw you smoking a cigarette and sipping vodka at the top of the Palmer, so you have gotten some of it down pat. LOL