Staying Dry

jamesnater

Is there a list of areas or routes somewhere on the internet or in a guidebook that lists what stays dry when it's raining in WA?

I know WW1 at Little Si has dry climbs when it's raining lightly. I've also heard of this place people have been calling "Rainy Day Crag" on FS #62 near Gold Bar and Index, though I haven't been there so the name might be slightly misleading...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little Si is great in the rain if you are happy with 5.12 and up. Otherwise anything on the eastside.

Otherwise, you can live the life of the climbing dirtbag which has happened for decades. Work for a while, quit your job, go to J-Tree and Hueco Tanks in the winter, migrate to Granite Mountain and Yosemite in the spring, take a side trip to Colorado, then when summer comes climb in Washington or at Squamish.

The key is to chase the weather, not have a job, know plenty of people where you can flop on their couch, be dedicated to Ramen and cheap beer.

But seriously, rock climbing in the PNW is a challenge in the off season.

Edited by matt_warfield

Yeah I live in Granite, it's a little further out from everything aside from hikes on Mt.Loop Hwy and Darrington. I've only been climbing for about a year now, and from what I know I think I'm the only climber in town.

Had I not buried myself in credit card debt from building and drifting cars the past couple years, I'd be in J-Tree or the Creek right now :( . But that is the future plan though, I do web design/graphics and stuff so I can take that job on the road with me :) I just don't want to take the debt along too.

Looks like I may end up climbing at Vantage according to the weather. Haven't been there yet, looks like there's some trad climbing there :tup:

The rain stayed away for so long at Index I kind of got spoiled... haha

Looks like I may end up climbing at Vantage according to the weather. Haven't been there yet, looks like there's some trad climbing there :tup:

I haven't explored Vantage as much as many people on here I'm sure, but I think you'll be dissapointed if you are going there with trad in mind. There are some gear climbs, but there seems to be a lot more bolted face climbing.

There is no need to be disappointed by a lack of gear routes at Vantage. You could climb all weekend there, multiple times, and never clip a bolt. Bob Dylan, Burning Spear, George & Martha, etc. etc.

True story.

The entire side of Echo Basin across from the Sunshine Wall area is "basically" trad. Try Trapeze wall, Fugs, Lesbian Troll wall, Running Gear Death wall, etc. etc. There is much adventure to be had there. You may run across some bolts but not a lot. Bring big gear and nerves of steel to handle the choss.

The rain stayed away for so long at Index I kind of got spoiled... haha

you'd be suprised how much fun you can have aid-climbing in the muck, clad all in black-trashbags and w/ a big haul-bag fulla (hot)booze...

I knew learning how to aid was a good idea!