Product To Clean Tree Sap?

Buckaroo

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how it would affect rope, but pure lemon oil (get it at super supplements/GNC/online) removes sap and other sticky stuff like nothing else.

Assuming all citrus oils are the same, I had a bottle of Orange oil in my refrigerator and the oil that leaked out, melted the plastic shelf, pretty gnarly stuff, not sure if I would want that near nylon. Curious tip though and worth testing.

nylon ropes are made of Nylon 6. acetone has no adverse effect on nylon 6, so that's what I'd use. (it a prior job, it was standard procedure to clean grease off of nylon using acetone.)

ethanol (a component in rubbing alcohol) has a very slight effect, so it's probably OK to use on the tent, but I would not use it on the rope.

i would use gasoline. gasoline has no adverse effect on tree sap, but once your Nylon 6 rope is completely saturated with gasoline, lay it out in the sand to air out, then light it on fire. The tree sap will now be removed.

I tried gasoline, right after the battery acid. Didn't clean the tree sap but the rope did change color a bit and it feels a little funny now.

But it should be good, are you up for some 5.10 at Index? I've got this rope we can use, it just has some tree sap stains on it, no big deal.

In fact we could light it on fire while we're climbing and get the footage with Go-Pros and post a TR

Dave, you don't have to worry about snafflehounds if you get turned around by the ranger for no permit on your way to Snafflehound Ledge. Sleeping on the trail probably doesn't help either, you outlaws.
How about you rub some rock salt in there while your at it. :poke::battlecage:

Hooo man, you call that shit a trip report? I was looking to see that you guys had sent and not gotten sent!

ps, I just leave the tree sap on the rope. It seems to wear off on it's own fast enough.