• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Buckaroo

Product To Clean Tree Sap?

What do you use to clean tree sap that's safe for ropes?

I have a rope and a gore-tex tent that have tree sap that needs to be cleaned off.

I don't know how it would affect rope, but pure lemon oil (get it at super supplements/GNC/online) removes sap and other sticky stuff like nothing else.

I don't know how it would affect rope, but pure lemon oil (get it at super supplements/GNC/online) removes sap and other sticky stuff like nothing else.

Assuming all citrus oils are the same, I had a bottle of Orange oil in my refrigerator and the oil that leaked out, melted the plastic shelf, pretty gnarly stuff, not sure if I would want that near nylon. Curious tip though and worth testing.

nylon ropes are made of Nylon 6. acetone has no adverse effect on nylon 6, so that's what I'd use. (it a prior job, it was standard procedure to clean grease off of nylon using acetone.)

ethanol (a component in rubbing alcohol) has a very slight effect, so it's probably OK to use on the tent, but I would not use it on the rope.

i would use gasoline. gasoline has no adverse effect on tree sap, but once your Nylon 6 rope is completely saturated with gasoline, lay it out in the sand to air out, then light it on fire. The tree sap will now be removed.

I regularly use hand sanitizer or 90% or stronger rubbing alcohol to remove doug fir sap from my skin and clothes.

i would use gasoline. gasoline has no adverse effect on tree sap, but once your Nylon 6 rope is completely saturated with gasoline, lay it out in the sand to air out, then light it on fire. The tree sap will now be removed.

I tried gasoline, right after the battery acid. Didn't clean the tree sap but the rope did change color a bit and it feels a little funny now.

But it should be good, are you up for some 5.10 at Index? I've got this rope we can use, it just has some tree sap stains on it, no big deal.

In fact we could light it on fire while we're climbing and get the footage with Go-Pros and post a TR

Butter will easily remove the sap. However, it may leave a grease stain.

how can butter leave a grease stain? it's butter.... parkay ;) butter :)

Butter will easily remove the sap. However, it may leave a grease stain.
And a nice flavor profile for the snafflehounds.

Dave, you don't have to worry about snafflehounds if you get turned around by the ranger for no permit on your way to Snafflehound Ledge. Sleeping on the trail probably doesn't help either, you outlaws.

Dave, you don't have to worry about snafflehounds if you get turned around by the ranger for no permit on your way to Snafflehound Ledge. Sleeping on the trail probably doesn't help either, you outlaws.
How about you rub some rock salt in there while your at it. :poke::battlecage:

How about you rub some rock salt in there while your at it. :poke::battlecage:

Hooo man, you call that shit a trip report? I was looking to see that you guys had sent and not gotten sent!

ps, I just leave the tree sap on the rope. It seems to wear off on it's own fast enough.