Colorado Springs - thanks Grover Norquist

Jim

The place where the Waldo Canyon fire destroyed 346 homes and forced more than 34,000 residents to evacuate turned off one-third of its streetlights two years ago, halted park maintenance and cut services to close a $28 million budget gap after sales-tax revenue plummeted and voters rejected a property-tax increase.

The city, the state's second-largest, with a population of 416,000, auctioned both its police helicopters and shrank its public-safety ranks through attrition by about 8 percent; it has 50 fewer police officers and 39 fewer firefighters than five years ago. More than 180 National Guard troops have been mobilized to secure the city after the state's most destructive fire. At least 32 evacuated homes were burglarized and dozens of evacuees' cars were broken into, said Police Chief Pete Carey.

"It has impacted the response," said accountant Karin White, 54, who returned Thursday to a looted and vandalized home, with a treasured, century-old family heirloom smashed.

No Taxes Please

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tons of new homes in the urban rural interface and no fire suppression work either. Of course that fault lies with government, building contractors, and homeowners.

This is going to be a growing problem. Given the mix of climate change, warmer winters, corresponding spread of pests such as spruce bud worm, long-term drought, and the spread of the urban-wildland interface - this is going to get expensive.

Lets just make sure it is clear to anyone who reads it that all corporate press pushes an agenda and narrative... and the narrative of this outlet is clear. "Blame the people who refuse to be flogged - rather than the Romans grinding their necks into the dirt to fund their wars and corruption".

The article fails to highlight that shrinking government revenues are a reflection of shrinking personal revenues.

I'd also like them to explain this better...

"Since the start of the 18-month recession in December 2007"

So they are saying the recession ended mid 2009??

please define "non-corporate" press, and also explain why they would no longer have an agenda just because they're not "corporate" -- and also why being "corporate" automatically ensures a hidden agenda

Oh wait, maybe "corporate" is just a word you can put on a story in order to discredit it without using troublesome logic? I think I get it now

Al;so building codes suck, something like mediatory metal roofs would prevent these structures from burning. also another thing are decks- all these surfaces provide landing site for hot ass and allow ignition of the structure. Also just issuing building permits for these areas is questionable. Reminds me of building homes on flood planes and then getting pissed because you get flooded.

The place where the Waldo Canyon fire destroyed 346 homes and forced more than 34,000 residents to evacuate turned off one-third of its streetlights two years ago, halted park maintenance and cut services to close a $28 million budget gap after sales-tax revenue plummeted and voters rejected a property-tax increase.

The city, the state's second-largest, with a population of 416,000, auctioned both its police helicopters and shrank its public-safety ranks through attrition by about 8 percent; it has 50 fewer police officers and 39 fewer firefighters than five years ago. More than 180 National Guard troops have been mobilized to secure the city after the state's most destructive fire. At least 32 evacuated homes were burglarized and dozens of evacuees' cars were broken into, said Police Chief Pete Carey.

"It has impacted the response," said accountant Karin White, 54, who returned Thursday to a looted and vandalized home, with a treasured, century-old family heirloom smashed.

No Taxes Please

Colorado Springs was a shit hole before this, i just don't see how 39 more firefighters could have made that big of a difference. Fires kinda do whatever the fuck they wanna do when it's dry, hot, and windy.

Al;so building codes suck, something like mediatory metal roofs would prevent these structures from burning. also another thing are decks- all these surfaces provide landing site for hot ass and allow ignition of the structure. Also just issuing building permits for these areas is questionable. Reminds me of building homes on flood planes and then getting pissed because you get flooded.

and cedar shake shingles, i always laugh when i see houses in colorado with them.

and cedar shake shingles, i always laugh when i see houses in colorado with them.

yeah, like mazama or leavenworth are any different with building codes? just wait till later in the year!

You have no idea what you are talking about. Metal roofs would have done nothing to save these houses. Also, the sites that these houses were built on was like any subdivision in the PNW. You think that Mill Creekers are crazy for living where they do?

How about you blame the government for waiting for two days before they decided who was going to pay for it before deploying firefighters? I came back from a deployment not knowing whether my home was going to be there with my wife and son living at a friend's. I live in Colorado Springs proper; Old Colorado City if anyone knows the area. This is a suburb less than a mile from the downtown. If my house could go, it speaks not to my negligence as a homeowner but the ferociousness of the fire and the ineptitude of the government both local and national.

You should have heard what the POTUS said. That fucker's got nerve.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Metal roofs would have done nothing to save these houses. Also, the sites that these houses were built on was like any subdivision in the PNW. You think that Mill Creekers are crazy for living where they do?

Actually I do have a pretty good idea. I lived in Bend for 8 years, had my place burned down (non-forest fire) and my roommate for two years was the chief instructor for hotshot crew in Prineville.

Actually I do have a pretty good idea. I lived in Bend for 8 years, had my place burned down (non-forest fire) and my roommate for two years was the chief instructor for hotshot crew in Prineville.

your house burned down? You're basically an expert now. Just like all those homeowners in Colorado Springs.