freeclimb9

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

You need the Flash authoring application to create this site. Dreamweaver won't cut it, but behaves well when adding flash content to your site. Personally I find flash stuff cute the first few times I use it, but annoying after that. It doesn't take too long once you have a handle on the Flash environment, and that doesn't take too long either.

So that "Flash authoring application" would be the Macromedia shiznit, I guess.

Typically, bleeding edge crap added into a website sucks unless it enhances transfer of information, IMO. I've avoided learning a lot of stuff just for that reason. But the smartwool site made me realize some benefits for companies that offer limited and boring products. The Flash made the visit to smartwool.com memorable (in a positive sense). Only Heidi Klum and her like modeling the underwear and socks would be more so.

freeclimb9,

being a web developer, i'd estimate that a site like smartwool.com would probably take a competent web team at least a month to build. complex projects like that take can take longer, however. it just depends on the firm.

the cost of having a site like that built professional would run in the tens of thousands of dollars, especially for that caliber of work.

like iain said, the site was built in flash. it probably also has some back end programming for the product listings and retail locator.

it's a nice site, although i get tired of that little bastard chasing my mouse back and forth! [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

friends don't let friends use flash.

Flash is great! Designers are not.

Flash gives the web potential to be just about anything, very few restrictions. However, such lack of restrictions and style/interface is what can make using it so frustrating. (why did that menu stick it's tounge out at me and dissapear [Confused] ) Offwidthclimber is right in that using flash is way sexier than plain ol' images. People can have no clue of useability, but can still make stuff that "marketing likes!" There is a not so fine line between what is "usable fine art" and "crap".

I was a flash developer for a company that produced online training courses, where we made small, modem friendly animations that conveyed ideas far clearer to Cleutus (learning about forklifts) than text ever could. So there are applications beyond cute/annoying stuff.

well put dbb. flash is a great resource for tutorials, displaying product features, etc - specific targeted uses that will benefit from interactivity, motion and sound.

with a handful of limited exceptions, whole flash sites are generally overkill.

at least people are finally getting over flash intros. now if designers would just stop resizing my fucking browser and using so many damn popups... [Mad][Mad][Mad]

I used to work with them and know that they're too cheap to pay a team of designers to build that site. I'm sure it was done by their in-house web monkey.

You can usually pick up SmartWool NTS cheap at the end of the winter season at REI- shit won't win any fashion awards, but it sure does work well. I have some of their gloves and wouldn't reccomend them for our wet climate. They work great in cold, dry places like Steamboat (where SmartWool is based), but wet our real quick like in our typical 30 and "snowing" winters. Free is free though.

They also had a buy one get one on socks not so long ago. Makes the hefty price seem a little less steep.

You need the Flash authoring application to create this site. Dreamweaver won't cut it, but behaves well when adding flash content to your site. Personally I find flash stuff cute the first few times I use it, but annoying after that. It doesn't take too long once you have a handle on the Flash environment, and that doesn't take too long either.