Does Anyone Really Care?

PrincessWookie

I could give a flying fuck who the next president of the US is.

I totally know this is a ignorant defeatist attitude but I REALLY don't care and I'm not angry or anything...just detached. Does it matter anymore? I'm saturated with lying rhetoric from any party. I'm not liberal, democrat, conservative...I'm an un label.

I have no TV, spend much of my time outdoors, and now I don't even turn on the radio.

I'm as happy as can be!! I guess ignorance is truly bliss.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally know this is a ignorant defeatist attitude but I REALLY don't care and I'm not angry or anything...just detached. Does it matter anymore? I'm saturated with lying rhetoric from any party. I'm not liberal, democrat, conservative...I'm an un label.

I have no TV, spend much of my time outdoors, and now I don't even turn on the radio.

I care, in fact I care A LOT: but "none of the above" is leading my choices right now. It looks like I will be writing that in.

Oh yeah, that's a happy happy post yesserreee

For the record, I care, and I participate, no matter how difficult it is at times. It's how representative government works. Not perfect, not pretty, ie: your government, like it or not.

No worries mate, the rest of us will take up the slack.

d

For the record, I care, and I participate, no matter how difficult it is at times. It's how representative government works. Not perfect, not pretty, ie: your government, like it or not.

d

Point taken.

I guess that's why I like living in a small dry cabin in Interior Alaska. I'm too busy trying to stay warm here and survive to be concerned about anything else!!

hmm...maybe I need to reconsider moving back to the US??

Kurt you are my favorite poster of the day!

i care but i don't like the choices. i may write someone in. i don't know. i'm not sure if it matters or not but yes, i care

I also have serious doubts about whether my vote matters or not but at the same time I cannot bring myself to just quit voting like some I know have done. I certainly do understand why people just turn away though. It's tough right now but democracy has never been easy.

Our system of representative government remains the best one I can see but it has become rotten with corruption, distorted with selfish ideas of those in power and many people are losing confidence in the government. Doing the right thing for the country has become less important to leadership than personal gain it seems.

People want change but nobody seems to know how to affect change... Change to me would include real immigration reform including amnesty for those already in our country. I thought bush had the right idea on immigration reform but that bill was defeated by a "bi partisan" group of so called leaders in 2007... Reducing if not eliminating corporate influence in government (fat chance of that happening), taking away the ability of elected officials to invest in companies possibly influenced by pending legislation, sunsetting, finally, the bush tax cuts for the rich, the return of the Glass Steagall Act (ie: the Volker rule) and adoption of most if not all of the Deficit Reduction Committee's recommendations to name a few.

My thinking is the guy we have now is most likely to make a real effort to get some of these things done. But this split congress needs to be fixed before any chance is to be had for this kind of change to occur. I have favored split congresses in the past but we've seen what has happened. It cannot work in the politically poisoned environment we have now.

What is important to y'all?

d

It's how representative government works.

I agree.....too bad we have not had one of those in a while.

Yeah, that's what happens when less than 50% of voters actually bother showing up and voting. What a bunch of little bitches.

Actually it was 56.8% in 2008 - the highest in 40 years.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html

It's how representative government works.

I agree.....too bad we have not had one of those in a while.

Yeah, that's what happens when less than 50% of voters actually bother showing up and voting. What a bunch of little bitches.

I was not talking about the voters not showing up. I was talking about we elect someone for certain values then they turn around and do the bidding of the highest bidder.....bought and paid for baby!

d

All too common refrain. Self absorbtion seems to be rampant. I know what I'll do with my free time - I'll take another (fill in the blank) tai chi, cooking, pen and ink class - instead of volunteering or anything like that.

[video:youtube]

All too common refrain. Self absorbtion seems to be rampant. I know what I'll do with my free time - I'll take another (fill in the blank) tai chi, cooking, pen and ink class - instead of volunteering or anything like that.

That is true for most. I think that's why I chose Alaska to live at this point in my life. We're a certain rare breed up here and the Lower 48 mentality doesn't really apply to us. Maybe we are all self absorbed to some degree... In Interior Alaska what I like is that folks are sure willing to help and go out of their way: We help folks get diesel for their stove if they run out at 50 below, offer to help light a fire under cars when there oil pan heater goes out, help to haul water if their car won't start, offer a gun or bear spray if they go out in the bush to help with grizzly protection, help the neighbor cut up his moose, and make sure his dogs are fed and watered if he's out of town. We run 50K's to raise money for folks with cancer and leukemia.... good people up here...I just can't seem to care much about politics is all.

......was being genral not specific. Didn't mean to imply you. Not having lived, but having had extended contracts in the Interior I must say a lot more of one's life energy must go to the basics with corresponding excess time/energy expended close to home.

I'm more tired of the city hipster scene that revolves around the latest cafe subculture or whatever naval gazing repertoir.

That is true for most. I think that's why I chose Alaska to live at this point in my life. We're a certain rare breed up here and the Lower 48 mentality doesn't really apply to us. Maybe we are all self absorbed to some degree... In Interior Alaska what I like is that folks are sure willing to help and go out of their way: We help folks get diesel for their stove if they run out at 50 below, offer to help light a fire under cars when there oil pan heater goes out, help to haul water if their car won't start, offer a gun or bear spray if they go out in the bush to help with grizzly protection, help the neighbor cut up his moose, and make sure his dogs are fed and watered if he's out of town. We run 50K's to raise money for folks with cancer and leukemia.... good people up here...I just can't seem to care much about politics is all.

if the expression "all politics are local" has any merit, i'd say by yer words up there you care for politics a good deal :)