Gettin' Spicy Up In Here, Up In Here

prole

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An MBA can be as rigorous as any other masters program. Depends on the school, the program, and the student's choice of focus.

Having said that...my undergrad mechanical engineering curriculum was WAY harder.

Agreed. And that's the point. At least the study should compare an MBA position with an MBA position; or a mechanical eng degree with a mechanical engineering degree. It doesn't.

Should have guessed Tvash with all those sine cuves and thingeys in the sculptures.

One item you SHOULD find intersting in the Rutgers study is that no attempt was made to compare like degrees. Rather, it compares "level of education". So, rather than compare say, a Masters in Physics with a like degree, it just compares all Masters degrees. That doesn't make sense. So you're comparing someone who has a Masters in History with someone with a MBA. Not so objective. Or, a Masters in Education, which you can do in a summer, compared to a Masters in a science, which typically takes 2 - 3 years.

an MBA degree is a masters in science? since when? Do you have any idea what goes into acquiring an MBA through an evening program compared to a masters in education?

Umm. No. If you slowly read the above they are seperate sentences that provide differnt examples of how the Rutgers study lumps degrees. Example 1: Should be comparing (as an example) MS physics to MS physics.

Example 2: What the Rutgers study is doing - comparing a MS History to MBA (as an example).

Example 3: Rutgers study is comparing degree LEVEL only so a Masters in Education is the same as a Masters in a science field in this study.

Hope that is clear now. I don't have any picture books to assist.

I don't need a picture book to figure that you are biased against humanities and other liberal arts degrees, which in fcat are often more valuable to achieve certain tasks like teaching people (for example) than a science degree.

I don't need a picture book to figure that you are biased against humanities and other liberal arts degrees, which in fcat are often more valuable to achieve certain tasks like teaching people (for example) than a science degree.

Oh no. I just think that any objective study should just be comparing similar job categories and degrees to have any credibility. But is an engineering or science Masters harder to obtain than one in English, History, or Education? You bet. Never heard of someone dropping out of a History major because it was too hard and picking up a science or engineering major.

And English degrees are great for developing a commanding use of the language, sentence structure, grammar, and spelling. So from that last post I'm assuming it's history?

Done. Sobo - time check?

I just think that any objective study should just be comparing similar job categories and degrees to have any credibility.

An exact comparison of working for profit versus providing public service isn't possible. The author obviously chose to retain the characteristics that are meaningful, like level of education.

But is an engineering or science Masters harder to obtain than one in English, History, or Education? You bet.

All of this seems very subjective.

Never heard of someone dropping out of a History major because it was too hard and picking up a science or engineering major.

that's because to do science requires special tools and people who picked humanities don't have these tools. It has little to do with difficulty.

And English degrees are great for developing a commanding use of the language, sentence structure, grammar, and spelling. So from that last post I'm assuming it's history?

Well, the logic and reasoning exhibited in your posts don't evoke science to me. So, focusing on form is obviously not entirely conclusive.

An MBA can be as rigorous as any other masters program. Depends on the school, the program, and the student's choice of focus.

Precisely, which shows that trying to establish exact comparison isn't possible. At least, accounting for levels of education is better than just comparing mean wages in the private and public sector like the anti-public sector types have done.

So, by that logic, are you proposing that liberal arts degreed individuals should be teaching the sciences...?? Wow...

So, by that logic, are you proposing that liberal arts degreed individuals should be teaching the sciences...?? Wow...

It depends on the course level. Teaching high school science isn't quite the same as teaching advanced science courses at a university. Pedagogical skills are probably more valuable than having an advanced science degree to teach basic science.

Edited by j_b

Having said that...my undergrad mechanical engineering curriculum was WAY harder.

Neither an MBA or a MEd typically require the defense of a thesis--a significant hurdle. And while a MS is probably, on the whole, a more difficult undertaking than a thesis-driven MA, I'm not sure you can say it always or necessarily produces a well-rounded graduate. (See mirror for details.)

Neither an MBA or a MEd typically require the defense of a thesis--a significant hurdle. And while a MS is probably, on the whole, a more difficult undertaking than a thesis-driven MA, I'm not sure you can say it necessarily produces a well-rounded graduate. (See mirror for details.)

I had to take a orals exam just to get into my Masters program.

And no j_b. I'll likely be here to 7:00 this evening as were dealing with some sophisticated sampling starting tomorrow so me and field crews are going over things with pizza. Cheers.

Done. Sobo - time check?
It's 4:20... it's that time. :brew: :brew: :brew:
So, 4:20 is the end of the day in Jim's part of the private sector? Boy, after all the posturing about his work ethics that guy obviously works very hard :)
Wasn't speaking for Jim, I was speaking for myself. I've been on reduced hours since August, working less than half-time, since there isn't enough work in my sector for all of us to justify paying me my full salary (it's a lot like that "shared sacrifice" we were discussing in the Greeks Bearing Gifts thread as it applies to the Washington Federation of State Employees union and their intractability regarding having their union members pick up another $43/month in benefits costs). So I work, on average, only 3 or 4 hours a day and meet my financial obligations with money I've already saved for other purposes. So yes, 4:20 is plenty late enough for me to start the evening party. You got a problem with that?

Done. Sobo - time check?
It's 4:20... it's that time. :brew: :brew: :brew:

So, 4:20 is the end of the day in Jim's part of the private sector? Boy, after all the posturing about his work ethics that guy obviously works very hard :)

For the record. 7:07 and my crew is closing shop now after an 11 hr day. But we do get to be outside the next two days! Now I'm joining Sobo :brew:

For the record. 7:07 and my crew is closing shop now after an 11 hr day. But we do get to be outside the next two days! Now I'm joining Sobo :brew:

Can't be working that hard as he made at least 13 posts to cc.com in that "work day".