[TR] Little Devil and Baksit Peaks - Standards 8/8/2011

JasonG

Trip: Little Devil and Baksit Peaks - Standards

Date: 8/8/2011

Trip Report:

These peaks aren't technical, but they are scenic, and worth the walk. Having hiked up to the lookout many times over the years, I had never taken the turn to Monogram lake before this Sunday. I ran into a couple that had bailed on Little Devil when the predicted sunny skies never materialized, and almost turned around myself when I climbed up into the clouds above Monogram Lake. Thankfully I had Norman Maclean to keep me company (I was reminded again why "A River Runs Through It" is one of the best short stories ever written), and an hours' rest lifted the deck enough to navigate to camp below Little Devil. It was still pretty socked in the rest of the afternoon, but I scrambled up Little Devil right before sunset. After the sun went down, the clouds lowered into the valleys and I was treated to a quiet evening out under the stars.

I got an early start the next morning and traversed over to Baksit (Middle Devil), where the summit register placed by Dallas and Chris Weidner in 1995 is still there. It was good to see that Dallas had signed in twice, along with a single entry from Roger Jung. Both have passed on, but I had a good few moments on the summit with memories of their exploits. Though I didn't know Roger, I had met his dad several years ago on Corteo, and was told to keep a eye out for him. I still am.

The views were spectacular, and I scoped the rest of the Teebone ridge traverse (some day!). The original plan was to sidle over and tag Big Devil, but I got lazy (and apprehensive about descending into the murk) and just sat up there and took photos of the cool marine layer spilling over the divide.

A quick traverse back to camp, and I was on my way back home along a ridge as scenic as any other that I have seen in the Cascades. Ptarmigan kept me company on the walk down to the trail, and I was back at the car in no time. If you need some solitude and scenery, Teebone ridge is sure to deliver!

Monogram Lake still melting out in August, and the Cascade River Valley

MG_2991.jpg

Lookout on Lookout Mountain

MG_3053.jpg

MG_3009.jpg

MG_3057.jpg

MG_3091.jpg

MG_3098.jpg

Teebone Ridge. Big Devil on the left, Baksit (Middle Devil) in the middle, and the Trapezoid (Last Devil) on the right

MG_3065.jpg

MG_3114.jpg

Snowfield Group at sunrise

MG_3115.jpg

Little Devil

MG_3143.jpg

MG_3153.jpg

Sinister and Dome- I wish we had this weather a month ago!

MG_3166.jpg

Summit register on Baksit (Middle Devil)

MG_3176.jpg

Fallen Angel

MG_3149.jpg

The Trapezoid (Last Devil) and the Pickets

MG_3163.jpg

MG_3193.jpg

Slesse and Triumph

MG_3158.jpg

Fallen Angel

MG_3187.jpg

MG_3195.jpg

Cue "The Sound of Music"

MG_3210.jpg

MG_3213.jpg

MG_3229.jpg

Gear Notes:

Crampons and axe

Approach Notes:

Monogram Lake trail. Leave it at the ridge before dropping to the lake and go up. Julie Andrews is waiting above.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff Jason! wonderful pics every time.

Nice to see Dallas and Rodgers sign in. I recall seeing Rodgers sign in on little J-berg during that trip we did to Silent lakes...he signed in "no rope, no route description, no problem"...R.Jung N Face, it was awesome. And of course Dallas had logged in as well.

Those guys were the real deal.

• 1 month later...

What a treat to see this great TR this morning. Not sure how I missed it before, but nice to be able to enjoy it. Wonderful pics.

Climbed Mt Shuksan on Saturday car to car and enjoyed another good look around the N Cascades from this summit. Thought I'd start there to begin to try to learn more about how this part of the range is put together. Planning to see a lot more of this country in coming months, and years.

The TR's here really help. Thanks.

d