Hiking Poles? WTF?

Off_White

Seems like you see folks all the time nowadays hiking with poles, I almost expect to see them with off road roller blades doing jump turns with those two pole thingys. Whats the deal with them? Is it just more expensive impedimentia, or does it really serve a purpose? I wonder because my knees doth complain about steep descents, but I've never really been a walking stick kind of guy. I know some people here use them, so input would be appreciated. I'm not really being snide here, just asking a couple questions: if you use them and like them, why? and why not if you've tried them and didn't like them?

[ 09-18-2002, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Off White ]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Ray and I were first dating, before we got hitched, he suggested that they might make it easier for me to get my big ass up the hike with poles.

Now being obscenely overweight, and divorced (I still LOVE you RAY, did you get the flowers? [smile] ) I find that it helps me a lot to have some extra stablization when hauling my gigantic ass up and down the hills. Sure I look like an old codger, but at least me knees and ankes aren't crumbling. Plus I can go 1 mile an hour versus .5 miles/hr without. I like the collapsibles for when I find brush that isn't too dense, I can fold them up and go, assuming my girth doesn't hang up in the salal. [chubit]

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

Off trail while wearing ungainly boots, they "really serve a purpose".

Off trail I find them most useless - at least in the bushwacking mess that's the PNW.....

In my experience they're useful

1) With Snowshoes

2) When your carrying a big freaking pack (80+ pounds)

3) On really shitty trails in places like the Adirondacks where your climbing down 10ft mudcoated rock sections (most of the trails in the Adirondacks are like this)

Other than these times I've found them to be a wonderful way for REI to increase sales. Titanium trekking poles? I have an old pair of collapsible ski poles I use occaisonally for this purpose.

Has any one else noticed a widening of trails due to the trekking pole trend?

Carl

[ 09-18-2002, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: cj001f ]

I used to hate poles and thought people were wimps for using them, until i started ski touring and was forced to use em. Now, I can't let go of them. They're great for hiking on snow because they save a lot of energy instead of slipping and sliding without them. They're also great on steep snow (one axe one pole) because you get to use your arms foe lift to. Using poles also prevents you from getting pencil arms on long ski traverses.

i went to a climbing conditioning seminar once, pretty much right off the bat one of the two instructors asked everyone that used trekking poles to raise their hand. i couldn't since i never use them except for the occasional snowshoe trip. feeling a little outweighted by the number of hands by these joyful people who use them, i just sat there.............. much to my suprise the instructor said "now all of you that raised you hands........ you need better knees". so then he showed us some great excercises for knee strengthening. it was great. [big Grin]

so i use ski poles for occational snowshoeing trips - the rest..........not so much - they alway seem to be more of a pain than an aid to those that use them anyway. [MR T]

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

When Ray and I were first dating, before we got hitched, he suggested that they might make it easier for me to get my big ass up the hike with poles.

Now being obscenely overweight, and divorced (I still LOVE you RAY, did you get the flowers?
[smile]
) I find that it helps me a lot to have some extra stablization when hauling my gigantic ass up and down the hills. Sure I look like an old codger, but at least me knees and ankes aren't crumbling. Plus I can go 1 mile an hour versus .5 miles/hr without. I like the collapsibles for when I find brush that isn't too dense, I can fold them up and go, assuming my girth doesn't hang up in the salal.
[chubit]

touche Allison!! [big Drink] maybe there's hope for you yet. trask

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

Now being obscenely overweight, and divorced (I still LOVE you RAY, did you get the flowers?
[smile]
) I find that it helps me a lot to have some extra stablization when hauling my gigantic ass up and down the hills. Sure I look like an old codger, but at least me knees and ankes aren't crumbling. Plus I can go 1 mile an hour versus .5 miles/hr without. I like the collapsibles for when I find brush that isn't too dense, I can fold them up and go, assuming my girth doesn't hang up in the salal.
[chubit]

Hahha obviously you got some avatars and think they are me. Well that's cool I dont really care. Just a note- when those comments were being made about that half rope thread I wasn't even near a computer. Matter of fact officespace called me up and told me you were blaming it all on me. [laf]

Oh yeah the ski poles. Buy cheap ones at goodwill. They are really good for downhill.

I got poles for snowshoeing, i started to use them hiking, now I look like some Euro, im trying to find fluorescent pink gore tex covered in sponsors logos to complete the trend.

I dont know that they really help knees all that much but they do add a lot of stability & balance when hiking with a heavy pack esp. through talus. they suck if you are going to do much scrambling.

you can use your ski poles to pitch your tarp so you dont carry a tent or bivi sack... you can fight off bears with them... practice fencing moves... balance over the crevasse shitter without falling in..toast marshmellows (dont forget to take the basket off)... ski poles are cool.

Seriously, I won't go anywhere without mine, and my pack weight is never over 30#. You don't have to carry 80# to enjoy the extra stability, and reduced strain on lower joints that poles afford you. I think even after the liposuction I will still use them.

People with non-collapsibles always curse heavily when traipsing through the brush.

Does any one know what my beloved RAY is carrying on about here? He seems upset! Ray, do you need a neck rub or something honey? [smile]

I love ski poles for steep decents, and they can help you speed up the pace going up hill. Whether you take one or two, an extra point of balance can be helpful while decending steep rocky terrain. I occasionally use one axe and one shortened pole on steep snow. They also great when you come across rattlesnakes on the trail. I usually do not bring them on carryovers (I am very weight concience)