Ski In 2011

AlpineK

Ski In in June! Yep, I know it's kind of late but there will be snow.

Dave Parker and I have been talking about Ski In for the last month speculating on when HWY-20 would open. I spend a couple minutes a day looking at the latest WSDOT photos of the plowing operation. The highway crew is getting close, but there is a lot of snow!

Right now WSDOT predicts 6-week till opening and we are at week 4. The highway will probably be open by Memorial Day, but Dave is the man when it comes to camping at the cabin in Mazama and has obligations. A week's delay shouldn't hurt. It also provides a safety cushion for unexpected problems.

[img:center]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2290/5710838226_faed1fe572.jpg[/img]

The WSDOT caption mentions 75' of snow in this photo

Last year we had a great Ski In with some cool touring Ski In 2010

One sad note, Monika Johnson was with us at Ski In last year, but she passed away earlier this year. We should all raise a glass in her memory around the campfire.

[img:center]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_rxgbPHdbZ9I/S98fTCAd2fI/AAAAAAAAAWc/v0llwo5wQQE/s576/25-Monika.gif[/img]

The snow pack is fantastic this year. I'm sure we can come up with some great tours and all have a good times!

[img:center]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_rxgbPHdbZ9I/S98drScbbDI/AAAAAAAAAV4/yQwyaqHf5M0/12-Willow-Creek-Skiing-2.gif[/img]

Willow Creek 2010

The delay in highway opening has given me some time to restore some old ski gear. I'm close to finished work on the old Saint Elias Sled. It hasn't seen use in almost 50 years.

1_Saint-Elias-Sled_0024.jpg

We can haul this to a peak top and play rock paper scissors to see who goes for a ride :grin:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone wants to go to the ski-in and climb, either in Mazama or Washington Pass, drop me a PM.

My preference could be to climb some moderate roots on the Liberty-bell massif. Access should be very good and I'm comfortable climbing in "early spring/late winter" conditions. I suppose there is a chance that there might be some fun gully-ice to be climbed as well.

I'm open to suggestions of other climbing in the area.

But I'll show up in any case, I might even try to flail along with the skiers for once.

Ski In June 4-5

Based on Dan Millers reports on HWY 20 clearing the road, "should be open," before Memorial Day. I talked to Dave Parker. While he hasn't posted, he is da man when it comes to arranging the campsite. He has other plans for Memorial Day, but he is on for June 5-6. He has permission to use the campsite too.

I'll try and get Dave to make a post. One thing the property owner wants to know is the size of the group. If you plan to attend make a post here so we can get a count.

Edited by Feck

NORTH CASCADES HWY OPENS SOON! Sorry we couldn't be sure when so we took the safer bet by picking the weekend of June 4-5. Besides I'll be at Swiftsure memorial day weekend. Who would have know we would be this late for SKI-IN!

Location: Just south of Mazama, same place so if you don't know where it is, contact Kurt or me and we'll give you directions. Anyone wanting to do some backcountry skiing (and boarding,sigh)is welcome. Climbers welcome too!

We'll have barbque, beer and lots of skiing lies! Ski ya there!

If you plan on coming to Ski-In make a post so we can get a count.

We can't post directions online, but we can send them via PM if you need them. Send either Dave or I a PM.

There should be enough snow for good skiing, and climbing on the eastside is fun.

[img:center]http://www.danbbs.dk/~rep/pictures/animation/skianim.gif[/img]

Edited by Feck

Since the owners of the property are gracious to let us use it for this annual event, we do want a general idea of how many will be attending. While drop ins are totally ok, we just want a feel for it. So please post your intentions and let us know...Thank You!

I will be cragging and skiing. This should be my 5th or 6th time there. Cant wait. I think Lane and friend are going too!

..and-There is nothing wrong with Fun Rock.

Edited by wayne1112

So go climbing. You could hang out with the ski crowd, make fun of them in person, then head off to the crags the next day.

Of course if all you do is climb at Fun Rock the skiers might make fun of you.

Fun Rock >> Skiing... ;-)

So go climbing. You could hang out with the ski crowd, make fun of them in person, then head off to the crags the next day.

Of course if all you do is climb at Fun Rock the skiers might make fun of you.

Fun Rock >> Skiing... ;-)

:battlecage::battlecage:

Doug and I are going. Sorry, I just noticed this link, and I posted at the link in "Freshiez" that we were coming. We'll be there Saturday night - he just got back from the Sierras so it'll be too rushed to make it tonight. And, I am looking for a climbing partner on Sunday - Doug wants to ski but I hurt my back and can't ski. I have a rope and rack and can lead up to about 10a or 10c depending on my mood, can follow up to around 11a. My name is Moira (more-uh) so if I meet you at the ski-in, and you want to climb, let me know! :)

Can't wait!