Japan

kevbone

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it could also be that choada thinks snark is strictly verboten when Japanese mothers look for their dead children. Of course, that would be kind of rich considering Choada's standing as a shining example of cultural sensitivity, but whatever ..

Please explain "irony" to the people in Fukushima.

dude, nobody in Fukushima gives a shit about irony right now. As a matter of a fact, I am not addressing them, I'm talking to you moron!

Edited by j_b

Basically everything humans do is fucked up. Off hand I'd say nuke power is slightly less fucked up than burning coal. Over the long run that is.

I had a chance to tour the INEL a few years ago. I thought it was awfully funny that they were powering a nuclear waste reclamation facility (glass-ifying waste) with a coal power plant, and that the coal power plant had to be off site because it released too much radiation :P

A question for all those who think nuclear is the way. What do we do with the waste?

Well, we were going to put it in Nevada, until that effort got shut down.

What are the other options that you see for stable, efficient, on-demand power sources that can meet the needs of densely populated areas?

Coal / natural gas /oil - Still waste, just most of it is loose in the atmosphere.

Wind / Solar - wonderful to supplement, but isn't really on-demand, and not available everywhere. Great in wyoming, but I wonder if it would meet the needs of the east coast? Might be more viable if we can figure out how to store the energy more effectively.

Hydro - wonderful out west (screw the fishies!) but not available everywhere

Ocean / Tidal - gaining momentum, but not there yet.

Fusion - great idea, seems to be perpetually 20 years out.

At least with nuclear we usually have all the waste contained and accounted for. I always thought breeder reactors were a great idea. Burn the fuel, turn the non-fuel into fuel, and burn it some more.

does '-shima' mean 'someday to be flattened quickly' in Japanese?

It's going to be quite enlightening to see how Japan responds to lack of preparedness for tsunamis. Due to little buildable space, they probably can't afford to not have housing or infrastrucure on the seaboard. What's the answer?

A question for all those who think nuclear is the way. What do we do with the waste?

store it in nevada - worst/best case scenario it explodes, making the entire state an uninhabitable wasteland till dog walks the earth again :)

store it in nevada - worst/best case scenario it explodes, making the entire state an uninhabitable wasteland till dog walks the earth again :)

Doesn't that already describe Nevada?

Well, we were going to put it in Nevada, until that effort got shut down.

What are the other options that you see for stable, efficient, on-demand power sources that can meet the needs of densely populated areas?

Coal / natural gas /oil - Still waste, just most of it is loose in the atmosphere.

Wind / Solar - wonderful to supplement, but isn't really on-demand, and not available everywhere. Great in wyoming, but I wonder if it would meet the needs of the east coast? Might be more viable if we can figure out how to store the energy more effectively.

Hydro - wonderful out west (screw the fishies!) but not available everywhere

Ocean / Tidal - gaining momentum, but not there yet.

Fusion - great idea, seems to be perpetually 20 years out.

At least with nuclear we usually have all the waste contained and accounted for. I always thought breeder reactors were a great idea. Burn the fuel, turn the non-fuel into fuel, and burn it some more.

Thanks but that really did not answer the question. The half life for most nuclear waste is 24,000 years. Do we bury it? Shoot it into space?

Molten sodium thorium reactors

He3 fusion using lunar regolith

Geothermal, like the Kiwis use (and they are a small island located on a major fault line too just like the Japanese)

I've seen an analysis that 1000 square km of solar in Arizona could supply the energy needs of all of America. Given that climate change over the next 100 years will likely render the current population of Arizona unsustainably large due to permanent drought, this may be a wise use of the land.

Deep ocean thermal exchangers need to be explored in more detail. I've seen some very promising papers on the technology.

Thanks but that really did not answer the question. The half life for most nuclear waste is 24,000 years. Do we bury it? Shoot it into space?

Like cyrofrozen billionaires, we're just supposed to hold on to it until humans invent a way to deal with it. Sound good? No, not really.

Like cyrofrozen billionaires, we're just supposed to hold on to it until humans invent a way to deal with it. Sound good? No, not really.

encasing waste in glass and putting it in the bottom of a very, very deep hole in the middle of fucking nowhere ain't that bad of a solution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain

Molten sodium thorium reactors

He3 fusion using lunar regolith

Geothermal, like the Kiwis use (and they are a small island located on a major fault line too just like the Japanese)

I've seen an analysis that 1000 square km of solar in Arizona could supply the energy needs of all of America. Given that climate change over the next 100 years will likely render the current population of Arizona unsustainably large due to permanent drought, this may be a wise use of the land.

Deep ocean thermal exchangers need to be explored in more detail. I've seen some very promising papers on the technology.

Giant gravel batteries to store energy

or Molten salt storage tanks to store energy

although deep geothermal doesn't need any storage in the short to mid-term.