Japan

kevbone

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrific, but catastrophism doesn't mean we need "big government" regulating the construction industry or spending money on "overlord" government scientists to monitor tsunami hazard. Let the "free market" rule, cut the public budget, deregulate some more and it'll be fine (the free market tooth fairy told me).

Mixed reports about the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant confirm that emergency battery power is being used to keep the plant’s emergency core cooling systems running. A mass evacuation suggests the possibility that radioactivity is being – or could be – released from the plant.

Eleven of Japan’s 55 reactors are reportedly shut down due to the earthquake and as many as 6,000 residents are already being evacuated around the Fukushima Daiichi plant.

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2011/03/11

Horrific, but catastrophism doesn't mean we need "big government" regulating the construction industry or spending money on "overlord" government scientists to monitor tsunami hazard. Let the "free market" rule, cut the public budget, deregulate some more and it'll be fine (the free market tooth fairy told me).

you are a one track record. boring.

Well, you know what they say: Bored = Boring.

it's always nice to be reminded there is no god, or that, if there is one, that he's a bit of a bastard

never waste a crisis, ivan?

i'm an atheist to be sure, but hardly a crusading one as that'd be...uh..retarded. ya'll are free to draw your own conclusions, so long as you leave me out of them :)

it's always nice to be reminded there is no god, or that, if there is one, that he's a bit of a bastard

i'm an atheist to be sure, but hardly a crusading one as that'd be...uh..retarded. ya'll are free to draw your own conclusions, so long as you leave me out of them :)

Arguing against religion is like arguing for abstinence - if only we weren't human, eh? We're born and bred to believe in copious quantities of bullshit. Whether that trait still has a survival benefit these days remains to be seen.

I do agree with your quote... the sea is madness.

I watch shit like this and am kind of energized and terrified at the same time at the power of nature and glad to be at a distance... kind of like watching a serac break loose... I've been in my share of 6.x magnitude quakes in Cali (and one here in Seattle) and can only imagine what kind of shit an 8.9 does. Footage of that water swell in Japan was mesmerizing.

I certainly never tire of rubbing the nose of free market zealots in their own poop. How does it smell, moron?

Didn't much look like Hokusai's Wave though.

I was impressed by the car traffic in the helicopter vid - right turn, book it up the side street as fast as possible away from the flaming debris wave.

Yes, I had to do a double take on that flaming debris.

it'dve been even more biblical if a screamign horde of frogs and locusts was riding the front edge :)

Didn't much look like Hokusai's Wave though.

I was impressed by the car traffic in the helicopter vid - right turn, book it up the side street as fast as possible away from the flaming debris wave.

Yes, I had to do a double take on that flaming debris.

it'dve been even more biblical if a screamign horde of frogs and locusts was riding the front edge :)

Or a man with a staff struck the water and all the debris flowed around him.