how'd you balance the budget?

ivan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played it. I balanced the budget. I'm not sure how I did it but I did select a bunch of options including maintaining prior tax levels on the rich, cutting military staffing to a prior benchmark, cutting Iraq and Iran invovement, and raising social security to age 68 (note on the latter I am not at all sure if social security is insolvent as presently funded). I might have selected a cut to health care, but not much.

My take away? We can balance the budget if we are willing to cut military spending and maybe some of the entitlements as well. But if we simply erase the Bush tax cuts to the rich who don't need them and adopt a sensible foreign policy, we have no problem with the deficit, regardeless of whether we revisit wellfare policy or not.

I couldn't balance that budget, but it's likely because it included many catfood commission talking points. Anyway, the issue is less to balance the budget today, than to stop the stupid bleeding (wars, tax cuts for the wealthy,tax evasion by corporations, gift to pharmaceutical industry, etc ...) and get the economy going based on fair trade, rebuilding sustainable infrastructure, cutting out waste, etc ..

Sure , make the fuckers that stole all the money give it back and let all the non-violent criminals out, kick all the war factories in the balls.

How many more people besides Madoff stole, lets just say maybe 10, although it was probably a lot more.

In Prison Interview, Madoff Says Banks ‘Had to Know’

MR. Madoff: He did not assert that any specific bank or fund knew about or was an accomplice in his Ponzi scheme, which lasted at least 16 years and consumed about $20 billion in lost cash and almost $65 billion in paper wealth. Rather, he cited a failure to conduct normal scrutiny.

So that adds up to $650 billion paper and $200 billion cash=balanced budget. Oh, we couldn't even think of getting it back and sending anyone to jail; why the fuck not? Well, there so nice and respectable, honest bankers and investors with families even.

Missed one: fire all the politicians and hire civil servants that 'want to serve' on a stipend with full medical for life.

Edited by Lucky Larry

Most people don't think balancing the budget is priority number #1. People first say they want jobs and balancing the budget the conservatives way (includes Obama) is a "job killer".

Why is the corporate media trying to get us to buy the frame put forth by the catfood commission (Obama's commission) that budget has to be balanced now by cutting essential social programs?

benefits get spent almost entirely, and there is little economic stimulus with greater return on investment. Much greater return than tax cuts to the wealthy for sure.

I say we cut out the obvious (wars, pork, insurance middlemen, ..), and tax those who aren't taxed enough. The rest should take care of itself when the economy rebounds.

either of you play the actual game? your resulting solution?

Games are fun, and, yes, I played this one. (My results varied from yours, but were no less confined to the corporate box.)

Anyway, for your critical thinking pleasure, here's another game published by the New York Times, very popular around eight years ago:

How would you deal with the threat from terrorists? Choose one:

[1] Bomb and invade Iraq

[2] See mushroom clouds over American cities

either of you play the actual game? your resulting solution?

Games are fun, and, yes, I played this one. (My results varied from yours, but were no less confined to the corporate box.)

Anyway, for your critical thinking pleasure, here's another game published by the New York Times, very popular around eight years ago:

How would you deal with the threat from terrorists? Choose one:

[1] Bomb and invade Iraq

[2] See mushroom clouds over American cities

the current game at least appears to have a few more moving parts :)

Mine's about the same.

I started out with the opposite, but then decided to cap Medicare growth to GDP+1%. Huge difference. Evil, but I felt it had to be done. Besides, those blue hairs just get in the way, especially on I 5. I figure I can eventually pick up a cheap Crown Vic out of the deal. The rest is tax da playuhs and trim the military.