Extreme Alpinism

Dennis_the_Menace

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But mark twight does talk about layering with softshells in the book. He doesn't explicitly say "softshell" but refers to stretch woven materials from schoeller, which I interpret as softshell. He emphasizes choosing breathability over waterproofness because "it will get wet anyway" and if it is raining you shouldn't be there.

Not that an update wouldn't be helful.

I've begun packing w/o hardshell for some of my recent trips and haven't missed it yet (I live in CO, where it is relatively dry, though). thermal top + softshell + down jacket suits most conditions fine.

I don't get the comment about Black Diamond above. He seams to exlicitly worship the company in the text, expecially their carbon fiber tools. Did they have some falling out recently, or something?

One of the most useful aspects of the book is all the real-life stories and f***-ups. He has tried everything and some of it DID NOT WORK and we get to learn from those mistakes without putting our own a**es in such grave danger. Yay.

I don't get the comment about Black Diamond above. He seams to exlicitly worship the company in the text, expecially their carbon fiber tools. Did they have some falling out recently, or something?

One of the most useful aspects of the book is all the real-life stories and fuck-ups. He has tried everything and some of it DID NOT WORK and we get to learn from those mistakes without putting our own asses in such grave danger. Yay.

Thank you for allow anti-censor to post.

-----------------------------------

putting the "uck" back in "Fuck". fruit.gif

Wut I don't get though is that Twight recomends "eating" three GUs every hour during a climb. Frequently climbs last 12, 15, even 20 hours. So does he advocate carrying sixty GU's! That's a lot of fuckin GU.

Ideally, this would keep insulin levels up and would supply needed glucose but I think Mark knows this is not practical (due to the weight of the GU & remembering to eat it).

I don't think they carried more than 50 or 60 GU's each, on the Czech Direct over a 60 hour period.

I have never eaten more than 12 GU's during an effort. I just can't remember to eat then every 45 minutes. 12 don't faze my stomach but I can't imagine 2 to 3 times that many.

Now you can get "flasks" for Gu or Cliff Shot and both of those brands sell their product in larger quantities (Clif Shot's looks like a shampoo bottle). So throw a 6 oz. flask in your chest pocket and take a suck every now and again. Yum!

But I'd take along a bagel or two, pre-spread with cheese and meat, anyway.

I don't know if they slept at all during the Czech Direct (those guys are crazy enough not to), but MT recommends other foods during bivys etc., just Gu for climbing.