delicious squirrels

G-spotter

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're doing native red squirrels a favor by eating invading grey squirrels.

Eat the Enemy

A prolific and adaptable species, the gray squirrel has been introduced to, and thrives, in several regions of the western United States. It has also been introduced to Britain, where it has spread across the country and has largely displaced the native red squirrel, Sciurus vulgaris. In Ireland, the red squirrel has been almost entirely displaced and there are concerns that the same might happen in Italy.

The late authority James Beard (Oregon native and long-time Manhattan resident}, in a book on historic American cookery, says that "The squirrel is to American cuisine, what the grouse is to Scotland."

I believe the fox squirrel of the midwestern and mid-Atlantic states may be optimal for human consumption. Squirrels that feed on nuts of any kind should be relatively good. The red squirrels of Washington I'd pass on. They are small and feed mainly on conifer cones.

I shot and ate an acorn-fed eastern grey squirrel. Shoulder and butt meat weren't bad. Lamb-like. The rest not so appealing. Disgusting work to prepare.

The robin I ate was much easier and about as good. Actually not bad........

There very act of looking up at the squirrel and salivating consumes more energy than is contained in Washington's entire rodent population. Side of acorns? Don't squander your kid's college education fund! The only way not to violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is to be tube fed chicken paste from Costco's Quik Serve Family Pack.

My GF and I grilled up some ribeyes with fresh baked french bread and garlic mashed potatoes the other night. Bought the proper carbon credits prior to the evening of course, so we were GOOD TO GO. Now it's back to plumbed chicken paste for the rest of the week. SAVING THE PLANET IS NO FUCKIN PICNIC...but it just might be a weenie roast...just as long as you don't do your own roasting.

One way forward is to get the right dog, feed HIM the chicken paste, and suffer the squirrels to come onto your Weber....

I wish I could eat BBQ'd dog. Unfortunately eating strays who were going to be put down is bad for the planet.

Raise a chicken in a cage 6 inches on a side for 26 weeks, with its beak cut off, bathing in its own feces, in a closed barn with 50,000 other chickens, then slaughter it and eat it, NOT CRUEL.

Raise a rooster for two years to be a fighting bird, treat him like a god, until he slips the spurs on and goes up against another rooster so raised, CRUEL.

Go figure.