REPLY more: READ less

Dru

OK I'm posting, but only cause I had to come back early from Lil' Wet. Why post when Bonbon, Beck, little Mikey from North Bend, and Eric/k have spray down to an art. Plus Mattp still thinks it's a conspiracy when Gator and I try and hook him up with bad beta...

cheers..

(still no Pioneer Ridge Beta... Berdinka? Fortier? Skoog? Beckey?)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by geordie:[QB]Mattp still thinks it's a conspiracy when Gator and I try and hook him up with bad beta...QB]

Can you guys pull that shit off without a conspiracy? wink.gif" border="0

No offense intended. You, Mike, and people like you give the NPS and the USFS a good name among climbers like me. But I HAVE had the experience of mostly being told bullshit for thirty years, and this experience has been shared by most of my peers. Meeting you, and dealing with rangers like Kevin (who used to work at the Glacier service center) has made a difference in my thinking. But I still believe there is an institutional bias in favor of resource extraction (USFS) and concessionaires (NPS) and in disfavor of climbers or (to a lesser extent) hikers. I believe in you guys and I support anyone who may be trying to do well in whatever their profession, but I won't stop complaining about what I see as that "institutional bias" (based perhaps on both politics and human nature) until I see the situation change. It is getting better, I think, but so far only incrementally so.

Incidentally, I attended a "potluck" recently where I thought that someone from the Portland office (what is it, region VI USFS) made what I thought was a good point - that climbers protest the Fee Demo program but few of them support funding for trail maintenance through any other means - and I have posted that idea on the CC.COM board three times in a week. I'm not against the NPS or the USFS, but I'm for preservation of public lands and the maintenance of public access--and I think that, on balance, climbing and hiking are a good thing that has not received adequate support from our public agencies. This may be because climbers and hikers have not, as a user group, been as politically organized as loggers or hoteliers, and this may not be your fault, but I believe it is a reality.

Mattp

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: mattp ]

quote:

Originally posted by allison:
unfortunately while you were all in your cubes today....I....was....outside!
[Moon]

Question. Can a person truly survive years of the "cube", or is it a short-term trial-by-fire sort of thing? I home office, and not to appear smug, but I cannot fathom spending 40 in a cube. Enlighten me.

i like the cube... isolation tank i call it... spray all day and no one can tell. sound of keys typing so i must be working wink.gif" border="0

and when something happens prairie dog reflex kicks in and everyone stands on tiptoe and looks over cube wall to see what going on. [laf]

In archaeological digs, the Pentium man is usually found first. The Apple man is often found 10 feet below, and in at least one instance, further digging has revealed the Selectric man , verified by polyester-14 dating techniques. The newer civilizations have been found to rebuild the cubicles right over the old ones. It is documented that more valuable cubicle furnishings tend to migrate upwards.

quote:

Originally posted by not a climber:
In archaeological digs, the Pentium man is usually found first. The Apple man is often found 10 feet below, and in at least one instance, further digging has revealed the Selectric man , verified by polyester-14 dating techniques. The newer civilizations have been found to rebuild the cubicles right over the old ones. It is documented that more valuable cubicle furnishings tend to migrate upwards.

You mean my cubicle might be haunted? shocked.gif" border="0