2010 Beacon Rock Peregrine Monitoring Journal

JosephH

As part of the updating process the public will be given the opportunity to comment on the plan....... :)

You have to be careful to clear about what you are talking about. There is the overall park management plan, there are individual project management plans, there is the Peregrine management plan, and there is the climbing management plan. Justin's reference above is above is to the park's overall management plan. The Peregrine management plan isn't approved or run by the BRSP, but rather by the WFDF.

HINT, HINT, everyone... the time to speak up is NOW!

...the rest of the support for a better climbing future must come from the voices of those who climb there.

...if you climb there, even a little, then you should be speaking up and communicating your opinions for climbing.

Definitely.

anyone who tells you that climbing at beacon for 9 months out of the year is an unrealistic future is either too pessimistic about the chances of it or is just too accepting of what the authorities tell them and unwilling to form their OWN opinion.

If you're speaking about me, then that would be entirely inaccurate.

not speaking of you but you're not far off, dood... ;)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not speaking of you but you're not far off, dood... ;)

Well, if you or anyone else somehow thinks that I don't want it open; that I'm buying a line of some sort; or that anything is going to happen without learning this stuff and developing relationships with 'those people', then all I can say is good luck with that. You of all people should understand that. It would also seem as if you ought to be able to just call Dave or his boss and talk to them about it all given you work together.

Hey Justin... What up with your obsession with Beacon, when I know you got so much climbing closer to home!! You seem like the black sheep when everone else really is stuck in the hell of PDX. Just a friendly question :wave:

Suppose It's cuz we have yet to get out togther....

It's kind of funny everyone that I meet up there... when they find out im from c'town they always say oh u must climb with tyler then.

Hey well don't be shy, I may get out mid week next week for some action. Do you work?

It is bewildering to me that you would actually prefer a 6 month closure and have birds nesting than have birds nesting with no closure at all.

You are illiterate, a simpleton, and / or steeped in so many years of senseless fantasy and adolescent denial that logic now completely fails you. Until you wake the fuck up you will remain among the victimal whiners who do nothing but spray.

Thats is the spirit.....now if we can get that kind of passion directed at NOT SUCKING UP.....we might get somewhere.

I've done some monitoring. As far as it being a positive thing for climbers, probably not. Josephs been doing this pretty heavily and consistently for 6 years and it hasn't really made a difference. For myself, I just like to get out there and be outside, it's a very enjoyable thing to sit and relax, looking at one of the more spectacular spots in the Gorge (sometimes in total shit weather-ask Ivan) and watching the wildlife show. You have seals coming up the river, Eagles, Osprey and other interesting birds flying around and interacting: it's great.

That is not to say that the monitoring might not be helpful at some future point, for if the birds ever relocate, like the pair that was on El Cap for many years that chose to move across the valley for no apparent reason, then it would be nice to have the credibility with WDFW. However, the WDFW would still want to confirm their absence anyway before they would open the rock, so perhaps it makes no difference at all.

No sucking up of any kind is happening and you're a complete fucking moron if you think you'll change ANYTHING with an antagonistic, them vs. us mentality. NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE with your approach and infantile attitude.

he may be infantile, but he knows how to press your very large button joe - firkrisake's, why do you banter w/ the boner? he probably could care less about the rock as it's not his thing so much anymore (finding far more amusment in getting you (and plenty other folks 'round here) to rage on him)

what is it about this place that gets you guys so fired up about climbing there, and birds - what is it about the birds that gets everyone so upset? Just get a shotgun and take care of them if that is what is making you guys so whinny! All I have ever heard about you guys that climb at the beacon rock is that you climb a giant dung heap like its El Cap, or Long's, or something else world-class. CorvallisClimb is right - why don't you guys go climb somewhere else and give up on the place?!?

Edited by jeff donnelly

why don't you guys go climb somewhere else and give up on the place?!?

'cuz we're afraid dipshits like you might be there? :)

no one says its the end-all-be-all of the world, hoss - it IS a very cool place, and it IS very close to home/work/family - nothing better within a 2 hr drive

come visit some summer - maybe you'll understand? who cares really...

why don't you guys go climb somewhere else and give up on the place?!?

'cuz we're afraid dipshits like you might be there? :)

no one says its the end-all-be-all of the world, hoss - it IS a very cool place, and it IS very close to home/work/family - nothing better within a 2 hr drive

come visit some summer - maybe you'll understand? who cares really...

from what i have heard it isn't worth the trip - chossy and short.

rock-on! :)

i defy you to find choss on any of its classic multi-pitch routes - blown-out (2 - 3 if you add riverside), right gull (3-4), stephenwulf (3), dod's jam (3), yadda-yadda-yadda

one of the best things about beacon is the lack of crowds, so yeah, the rock sucks and holy shit the poison oak is everywhere!!! :rolleyes:

i defy you to find choss on any of its classic multi-pitch routes - blown-out (2 - 3 if you add riverside), right gull (3-4), stephenwulf (3), dod's jam (3), yadda-yadda-yadda

Slick Sock has 10 pitches of 5.6 - bitches! Your river turd doesn't even compare!

it is absolutley crystal clear to me that you have never been here and have absolutely nothing positive or constructive to add to this thread... if beacon is so terrible then what you got that's so much cooler? perhaps you could give us all something better to discuss, eh?

i've been to mccall and new meadows and out that direction, but never climbed there..
You're missing out! your precious beacon pales in comparison.

that may be, but it's hardly a commuter crag esse!

do the birds get to fornicate on it for half the year? :)