2010 Beacon Rock Peregrine Monitoring Journal

JosephH

I was coming down from Hamilton yesterday, Sat. and I saw two guys climbing the . . . N. side?

facing/right over the highway, practically.

It is good to remember that while we seem to toil in relative obscurity folks are sometimes seeing us from various

other vantage points. At one point some folks scanned this site and between us figured out they had shot pics of Shane

and I on Menopause from up on Hamilton - talk about good eyes and camera gear! Similarly I've seen folks at the boat

launch and in boats out in the slough shooting pics of climbers.

dhrmabum, I and others would be happy to take you up the SE Face route once Beacon opens for the season. Just post

back up then or pm one or more of us.

Thanks for the invite, JH. I've been talking w/a couple others, and I will gladly take you up on the offer when the time is right. 'Til then, happy climbing!

Btw, I agree w/ your last post concerning the salmon/sea lions/ and that damned dam. A big mess.

Edited by dhrmabum

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In their case I'm sure it would end up as "all you can eat" being ok given the Salmon are bigger than the birds.

That is the situation with the Eagles, but their take is relatively small. The seals on the otherhand are enormous

and really gorge themselves. A bummer, but also another manmade situation via the dams.

the sea lions usually get about 3% of the annual salmon run, though not all fish targeted are salmon. the stellar sea lion - which is larger than the california sea lion - actually targets sturgeon, but wouldn't balk at a nice plump springer or silver. the california sea lions almost exclusively target the salmon. the 3% of the run that the sea lions claim up there was about 4500 fish in 2008 and with the run predictions for this year it will be interesting to see if it is a feast for them. OMG this is such a quagmire - i can't even think about it without getting a headache :sick::grlaf:

the article says they're not killing the stellar's

the species matters not - the enviro-freaks want to protect the sea lions (no matter which one they are talking about) and argue that they are gonna get the fish anyway, and the fishermen want to eliminate the sea lions at any cost - the hardcore, and the commercial fishermen, anyway. those are the extremes, but of course there are those who are able to see both arguments objectively. ok, i'm done - i like arguing about falcon sex more... at least with the birds i can play somewhat ignorant... :P

are you a park ranger dbum?

Uh, no, though I used to be, but not around here. What gives you that idea?

where were you a park ranger? i've spent some time in a few parks.... you know a bit about climbing but say you don't climb but yet you post on a climbing site. how many times have you visited beacon rock?

are you a park ranger dbum?

Uh, no, though I used to be, but not around here. What gives you that idea?

where were you a park ranger? i've spent some time in a few parks.... you know a bit about climbing but say you don't climb but yet you post on a climbing site. how many times have you visited beacon rock?

Worked up in Denali.

Yeah, I know a little about climbing, though I'm currently trying to get more into alpine. If you look under my name you'll notice it says "noob." And, right, don't have much experience on rock. . . Don't know how many times I've visited Beacon over the years; too many to count. Never climbed on it though, just hiked to the top. Is that ok?

of course it's ok. so do you know scott woolums? think i spelled that right. don't have to beat up on tree climbing denali huh?

No, I don't know of the person you speak of. Didn't think I was beating up on tree climbing; I rather like climbing trees. Was actually,(if you reread my original post), questioning the practice of breaking branches off of a tree. That question has since been answered by the party in question.

of course it's ok. so do you know scott woolums? think i spelled that right. don't have to beat up on tree climbing denali huh?

No, I don't know of the person you speak of. Didn't think I was beating up on tree climbing; I rather like climbing trees. Was actually,(if you reread my original post), questioning the practice of breaking branches off of a tree. That question has since been answered by the party in question.

sorry, im a tad incoherent . i was speaking of beating up on trees. you don't have to do that on denali. there are no trees... right????

guess beating up on a tree is better than playing wack a mole with a sea lion.

so were you a ranger in denali?

Yep.

What years were you there? I spent the summers of 1993-2000 working in Denali. Perhaps we crossed paths up there? Was that you chasing me during the "Denali Dash" circa 1995ish (a 3 mile naked run that is held every first full moon of August)? I think that was the same year two naked guys on mt bikes crashed into each other and were both knocked out. Seems one of them broke his nose pretty bad. Then again, maybe that was 94? But I digress....

Yep.

what a cool job? are you or have you ever been a ranger at beacon rock and have you ever had interactions with joseph healie prior to your conversation on this thread?

Yes, it was a cool job.

No, to your questions. . I already said that I'd been a ranger long ago(previous post), but not around here. Are you incoherent at present?

I have an idea. You seem to be very suspicious of me for some reason(maybe you're a conspirator?), but, I feel that this conversation has gotten a bit off topic, and I don't want to derail this thread nor take up any more space, talking about my personal history, or who I might know, etc.

If you have more questions about my short but fun experience as a ranger in Denali, or who I might know, why not pm me and we can continue the conversation there, rather than taking up this space.

Yep.

What years were you there? I spent the summers of 1993-2000 working in Denali. Perhaps we crossed paths up there? Was that you chasing me during the "Denali Dash" circa 1995ish (a 3 mile naked run that is held every first full moon of August)? I think that was the same year two naked guys on mt bikes crashed into each other and were both knocked out. Seems one of them broke his nose pretty bad. Then again, maybe that was 94? But I digress....

No, I wouldn't have been chasing you naked, unless I was very drunk, and even then. . . I was chasing that ranger chick from Interp, don't ya know?

No, Dave, I think you and I talked on here last. . . spring/summer, about Denali, climbing, etc. I think I was up there just a bit before you; my last summer was '92, I believe. Was there from '87 til then. Good times. Sometime I'll tell you about the one and only triatholon I've ever entered, which was up there. Almost died swimming in the lake, half-drunk. Did alright on the bike ride, though, as the swim, uh, sobered me up, ya might say.

I guess the "Denali dash" came a bit after my time, unfortunately. Sounds wild. I definitely had a few wild times up there. Miss it terribly. Can't wait to go back and show it to my son. I think he'll love it. And, yes, again, I was a ranger there(but not at BEACON!). Loved it, besides working for the Govt. that is. Ah, well, there were perks. C-camp, Toklat, Eielson, tourist chicks. . .

Edited by dhrmabum

and what does breaking branches off a alleged tree have to do with monitoring a falcon??? are you some sort of conspirator??? why didn't you pm ivan once you found out it was him??? and there is plenty of space... quite sure unlimited space on this thread.

you're a funny dude dhrmabum....

and what does breaking branches off a alleged tree have to do with monitoring a falcon??? are you some sort of conspirator??? why didn't you pm ivan once you found out it was him??? and there is plenty of space... quite sure unlimited space on this thread.

Takes one to know one, big Pink.

Actually, Ivan and I did pm each other, and he publicly set the matter straight. And you're right, the breaking of branches doesn't have much to do with monitoring falcons, but it's at least on the same thread as Beacon, which is why I posted it when I saw people saying they'd just climbed there.

Just being polite about the space. Some get pissed when seperate conversations go on for too long, maybe esp. when it concerns where I worked, who I know, etc. etc.

Cheers.

Takes one to know one, big Pink.

Actually, Ivan and I did pm each other, and he publicly set the matter straight. And you're right, the breaking of branches doesn't have much to do with monitoring falcons, but it's at least on the same thread as Beacon, which is why I posted it when I saw people saying they'd just climbed there.

Just being polite about the space. Some get pissed when seperate conversations go on for too long, maybe esp. when it concerns where I worked, who I know, etc. etc.

Cheers.

Just for the record, I heard Pink has climbed ElCap. Gecko.gifGecko.gifGecko.gif

Wow, small world... We met here on cc last year. Who'd a thunk it? I may be headed back that way soon, not sure yet though...

Back up to Denali? for fun? Lucky guy.

I'm thinking I'll take my son in the next couple of years. Hike in Denali and maybe kayak some down around Katchemak bay.

Yeah, who'd a thunk it? Ever listen to Greg Brown?

Edited by dhrmabum