2010 Beacon Rock Peregrine Monitoring Journal

JosephH

awesome pic - never seen it! where?

hey, the snag on snag ledge is still alive there! and the summit area actually looks logged, but maybe tht's just the perspective from the island?

don't see any ivy in lay lady lay

land of the little people is missing its anchor tree, isn't it?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. I'm sprayed, splayed, and filleted. Stick a fork in me, and stick me up any bare-limbed tree on the mighty Beacon as a sacrificial newb. I'm done. :)

I'll buy the beer if we ever hookup out at Beacon.

Edited by dhrmabum

...I'll buy the beer if we ever hookup out at Beacon....

Dude, you say that you're buying? I can get behind this idea, be aware that pulling out a warm Pasbt tall boy is considered an insult in many cultures. Ivan, you reading this you cheap screw? Real beer shouldn't taste like pee. LOL!

The cold wet winter trick I learned from JH: after any cold day anywhere in the gorge, was to curl up right next to the fire with a Guinness at Skamania Lodge. Right next to it there on the hearth. For the non-alcoholics, they have free coffee and hot chocolate too (please don't abuse this). Someday he's gonna wander in there and I'll be sitting there next to the firescreen taking up his favorite spot... :)

Good to see some emotion from Bill. :kisss:

:kisss: OK, I apologize for snapping. (And for screwing up JH's thread too.) Good nights sleep and your post looks entirely different to me in the am.

another :kisss: , even if it's probably wrong.

I personally dont give a rats ass about the tree in question on the route Ivan was on. I did not give a rats ass when they chopped down hundreds of trees to put the road in I drove on to get to Beacon either. Just saying.....
..... :shock: I'll let your wife know that a chainsaw would be great Christmas gift. You missed your calling, should be working for the road crew. :)

:kisss: OK, I apologize for snapping. (And for screwing up JH's thread too.) Good nights sleep and your post looks entirely different to me in the am.

Ah I feel all warm inside

Ah I feel all warm inside

Take a Tums, I hear it's good for heartburn...

Title page to your link Ivan: "Home care costs pinch seniors

Jessica Hill / AP

Many people may be pushed into costly nursing homes if states slash programs. "

Who's going to step up and tell Jim this?

BTW, the lower part of the Cape Horn trail was closed due to those nesting Peregrines down there this year for the first time. So if you're into hiking that one: be apprised of that.

The Peregrines either have, or have attempted to, nest on their Big Ledge scrape every year. In two recent years they failed

on Big Ledge and successfully nested somewhere else nearby - in those two years the nest location was not verified. We had

suspicions, but could not prove them.

I was coming down from Hamilton yesterday, Sat. and I saw two guys climbing the . . . N. side?

facing/right over the highway, practically.

It is good to remember that while we seem to toil in relative obscurity folks are sometimes seeing us from various

other vantage points. At one point some folks scanned this site and between us figured out they had shot pics of Shane

and I on Menopause from up on Hamilton - talk about good eyes and camera gear! Similarly I've seen folks at the boat

launch and in boats out in the slough shooting pics of climbers.

dhrmabum, I and others would be happy to take you up the SE Face route once Beacon opens for the season. Just post

back up then or pm one or more of us.

Kev, the closure is based on knowing where they typically nest - in the case of Beacon it's on the Big Ledge scrape.

There hasn't been a case of them showing a preference for anywhere else since they stopped using the [currently

decomposing] North Face nest box. The purpose of this early season monitoring is to try and establish that they

are using it, or to establish where they aren't nesting if aren't. This year I'd say they are definitely trying

to use Big Ledge from what we've seen so far. If that changes we'll be trying to stay on it, but at the moment they

seem to be zero'd in there.

so what happens when the sea lions become endangered?

They are protected under the Marine Mammal Act. It's been a big quandry for all concerned and waivers have had to be applied for

and approved in order to cull the problem seals.

so what happens when the sea lions become endangered?

They are protected under the Marine Mammal Act. It's been a big quandry for all concerned and waivers have had to be applied for

and approved in order to cull the problem seals.

to bad the falcon aren't eating the endangered salmon....

In their case I'm sure it would end up as "all you can eat" being ok given the Salmon are bigger than the birds.

That is the situation with the Eagles, but their take is relatively small. The seals on the otherhand are enormous

and really gorge themselves. A bummer, but also another manmade situation via the dams.