It's that season!

lancegranite

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We climbed all day on Monday, and it was a little cool but very doable. The problem there sometimes this time of year is fog that sits over the river and the climbing area, often making it prohibitively cold. You can tell if this is the condition before you leave home by going to the WSDOT site, clicking "state view" and choosing West Vantage and Silica Road. If you see shadows on both, the sun's out, you're good to go. In the past, I've driven down there on a beautiful day only to be fogged out in this one little piece of the state! No more.

I have had shirts off climbing there every month of the year.

I think Telemarker is right.

For ski mountaineering and what I find to be "real" skiing, Washington ski season really starts in late winter (when the ski areas are about to close), and real dependable comfort for rock climbing (the season) doesn't really kick in until June or whenever summer really kicks in. Conversely, at the end of the season, climbing conditions are often good when everybody is praying for snow and they have put their rock shoes in the closet, but the skiers are out chasing powder days and rock-skiing at "Paradise."

Don't get me wrong: I'll be out at Index in March and Paradise in October, but we're not unlike the downtown department stores, selling Winter coats in August and bathing suits in February.

...we're not unlike the downtown department stores, selling Winter coats in August and bathing suits in February.
I agree there's a common tendency to focus on the next season's activity before it's quite time.

Still, kind of hard to argue the logic of picking an activity that fits the conditions for that day rather than the calendar.

...we're not unlike the downtown department stores, selling Winter coats in August and bathing suits in February.
I agree there's a common tendency to focus on the next season's activity before it's quite time.

Never got around to skiing this year myself - been climbing @ Index Dec, Jan & Feb though. Going tomorrow... and every opportunity from here on. :)...

Edited by denalidevo