"A little mistake"

archenemy

so the government of france has dropped all protest over the extradition procedures. they think that the matter (rape of a 13 year old) is serious enough that 30 years does not erase it.

after having read the specifics of the case, it seems to me that mr. polanski needs to face his past. he has run from it for 30 years now.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draconian penalties have produced an expensive prison state (2.2 million prisoners...the highest incarceration rate in the world by far), which in turn has bred more criminal behavior (as prison life in the U.S. predictably does). You put a kid in jail for 10 years instead of 6 months and what do you get? White Supremacy or Gansta, depending on the flava. What these 'tough on crime' policies haven't produced is less crime.

This is a hard nut to swallow for the moralist dolts who continue voting for the very policies that worsen the problems they claim to be so concerned about. In reality, their ire is merely an expression of an unfulfilled domination and punishment fetish that is seemingly forever unsatisfied, particularly for those of more diminutive physical and mental stature.

My brother, who is a public defender, has observed that perps don't even consider the penalties, and most don't even consider how their actions might escalate into the kind of violence that eventually results. Some idiot walks into some other idiot's house to steal their weed, which is valued at $4000 a pound because of our fucked up drug laws, amped up on a B movie fantasy about how he's going to fucking do the thing, myan, someobody opens up with a shotgun, and within a few seconds there are 3 people lying dead on the floor. Woah, man! Anyone who really believes there's a lot of forethought going on here is living in their own little fantasy kingdom. Mental illness also plays a large role in crime, particularly sex crimes; no 'ooh, I might go to jail' thoughts there. Drug use (mostly alcohol), famously accounts its lionshare of bad ideas gone worse. Again, when your inhibitions have been removed by a drug, you really don't think about sentencing policies too much.

A case in point is California's prison system, which used to be the nation's model with it's 27% recidivism rate and rehabilitation philosophy. Enter the Reagan era: now the system, which is famously overcrowded, offers little to no rehabilation, has a 72$ recitivism rate. Want more crime? You got it, baby.

What does work to reduce crime is the elimination of our idiotic war on drugs and support for a healthy middle class; people who've got somewhere to go Monday morning, watch their neighborhoods, and pay taxes for programs that aid the mentally ill and provide a way for the convicted to rejoin society (um...what's that path now, exactly?). Curiously, the very same constituents who vote for 'throw away the key' policies also vote for policies that have eroded our middle class.

So you are saying that raping 13 year olds is no worse than selling drugs?

Isn't that what a huge percentage of the prison pop is in for (drugs)?

I would not put them in the same category.

The woman who wants the issue to go away does not want it to go away because it doesn't hurt anymore. She wants it to go away because it hurts so much.

"But who cares?" Is that what you are saying? The prisons are full of drug dealers so lets let the first time child rapists off easy?

Her life is changed forever because of what he did. There are lots of rape victims who do not have any semblance of a normal life afterwards. Nothing Draconian about that though right?

They're just women after all eh? :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm saying all those things Keith...obviously. I certainly wasn't addressing the larger issue of crime and punishment in our society. You nailed it.

so the government of france has dropped all protest over the extradition procedures. they think that the matter (rape of a 13 year old) is serious enough that 30 years does not erase it.

It may have to do with the prosecutor in the case retracting his statement yesterday about serious irregularities having been committed during prosecution. That was all the excuse they needed to protect a french citizen (Polanski) from serving time in the US.

Of note, over the last 30 years, extradition was asked from the UK, Israel and Thailand, and had apparently been turned down.

Anyway, if anything, it's good to get a sign of life at the justice department because many appear to think they should get busy with some of what happened over the last 8 years ...

I think he's sorry, I think he knows it was wrong. I don't think he's a danger to society. I don't think he needs to be locked up forever and no one has ever come out ever — besides me — and accused him of anything. It was 30 years ago now. It's an unpleasant memory ... (but) I can live with it.

what a douchebag, but it's hard to feel outraged if she isn't. I'm surprised that hollywood has supported the guy for so long. fuckin' rapist. We should continue to make him live in France. That's worse than prison.

I think he's sorry, I think he knows it was wrong. I don't think he's a danger to society. I don't think he needs to be locked up forever and no one has ever come out ever — besides me — and accused him of anything. It was 30 years ago now. It's an unpleasant memory ... (but) I can live with it.

what a douchebag, but it's hard to feel outraged if she isn't. I'm surprised that hollywood has supported the guy for so long. fuckin' rapist. We should continue to make him live in France. That's worse than prison.

There is no hell. There is only France. :-)

It may have to do with the prosecutor in the case retracting his statement yesterday about serious irregularities having been committed during prosecution. That was all the excuse they needed to protect a french citizen (Polanski) from serving time in the US.

Of note, over the last 30 years, extradition was asked from the UK, Israel and Thailand, and had apparently been turned down.

Anyway, if anything, it's good to get a sign of life at the justice department because many appear to think they should get busy with some of what happened over the last 8 years ...

I have no idea why other countries wouldn't trust our Justice Department. No idea whatsoever.