Static Point (less)

dan_e

No of course it's not pointless to go to Static Point these days, but damn if it's not a bit more of a pain in the ass to get there and we never even made it to the cliff!

I was hoping the hardest part would be having to hike in a couple of miles, but the bushwacking proved me wrong. The last time I visited Static Point was in June of 2000. My first visit was around 1996 or so, this was back when you practically drive to the base of the approach trail. I've only ever climbed Online and I was back to bring a friend to do the same route (it's an amazing friction climb on pristine granite).

As many of you know the road is toast, it's not because the DNR wants to keep climbers out (some have assumed that), it's because the road was slated to be decommissioned years ago and we knew this, however it took them a while to get it done. It had been thought that they were going to log off of that road (comments in the guide books). The logging never happened, which is good right? Would we rather have the road stay open so we could dodge logging trucks and then be rewarded with massive clear-cuts? I think not, sure it's a bit more of a pain to get in there now, but all we need to do is keep the trail open (some pruning required).

Here's what we learned today:

1) Sultan Basin road is closed a several miles from Rt 2 at 112 St SE. Take Kellogg Lake Rd to get past the closure.

2) You now need to park just past the registration station (Olney Pass gates). The two mile walk in to the spur road to SP is not bad, you could bring mountain bikes to save some time.

3) The spur road is just past the bridge and is marked (blocked) by a giant pile of trees and boulders (impossible to miss). It's on the right just a short distance up the road from the bridge. The good news they are repairing that bridge and it looks like it might be done before winter.

4) The old decommissioned spur road is gone and now consists of large mounds that were built to shore up the drainages that cross the road. They actually did a great job restoring the road even though it's a pain to hike and no it's not very feasible to mountain bike down the spur road.

5) The remnant of the road eventually ends at two large rocks, in the past you could drive all the way to here! The rest of the way is pretty grown over with alder. Supposedly the approach trail is marked by a culvert pipe and cairns. We saw many culvert pipes, but no cairns.

It should only be a 1/4 mile from the large rocks to the approach trail which is on the left and ascends steeply through large trees to the base of the cliff. Again we never found the trail and I am pretty sure we went way too far, we turned around a tried to find the trail on the way back, but had no luck.

So please, if you have any more details or photos post them. There were three parties including us on the way in and from what I know no one found the approach trail. On our way out we met another party heading in and they seem to know where it was, but they had not been there in ten years (it's been nine for me). I hope someone got to climb.

This is supposedly what we were looking for: "The correct trail is by a pipe that is 1/4 full of dirt and there is a cairn marking the start."

The two large rocks (old parking area)

Static_Point_Approach_04.jpg

There's a person in there if you look hard

Static_Point_Approach_02.jpg

The wrong culvert pipe

Static_Point_Approach_01.jpg

What's left of the old spur road

Static_Point_Approach_03.jpg

You reward for finding the cliff

Online-Crux.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Off and I were the other party on the way in. We found it but it was a real pain. The road/trail came and went for at least three culverts in the road until we came to a major drainage and a well marked (3 feet high) cairn. We started at 10:15 and got there at 1 pm. Then 45 minutes up the hill to the climbing. We cut short our route due to time, then decided to take the river bed back since the trail was so hateful. Arrived at the bridge, after a dunking, just as it got dark at 8 pm. Then the walk up to the gate in the dark.

Off took pictures of the drainage and cairn area for future reference, and I am sure he will post a TR. Great climbing but I am a tired and sore puppydog today, and it wasn't the climbing!

I think you guys just didn't go quite far enough. The key seemed to be go as far as you can possibly stand it, then continue for five more minutes. Culvert schmulvert, the real identifier is the large white granite wash you cross just before the trail, there's nothing else like it on the approach and you get a clear view up the gully past some slabs to the top of Static Peak. Just 50' on the far side of it you'll find the culvert, cairn, and some flagging tape that will get you started up the trail. The lovely but steep trail up the hill has some blowdown issues down low, a few pieces of flagging, and seems to be slowly losing ground, but underneath the canopy things don't change nearly as fast as when you open things up like the old road bed.

The bush thrash from the old parking boulders was pretty harsh, stunning to think I've driven that in the past. Using the Skoog bushwack rating system I'd give it a BW3+, and far worse than any other Washington crag approach I've done, including Comb Buttress and Dreamer in Darrington.

I'll post a couple pics after I get them out of the little digital box.

Thanks for the replies everyone. All I can say is we need to get medieval on what remains of that trail before it's lost forever! I am hoping to get back there this fall and I will do some pruning.

Do you guys think it would be better to try and blaze a trail along the river?

No, definitely not, sticking with the old road line is the way to go, just clear up the track. Chainsaws, brushcutters, and a little brute force. Sounds like the DNR is okay with volunteer maintenance, and it's not a wilderness area so we're not limited to handsaws & pruners.

I'm thinking sometime in October might be good. My schedule is s little tight, but it'd be great to join forces and reclaim that approach. Road will be open after Oct 15th.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...