BBC is a Farce

Fairweather

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many fatal flaws can you find in this story? Let's begin with the title...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8146995.stm

B4 this turns into a anti-global warming thread, I'll just step up and say I don't understand what you are saying Fairweather. I clicked on the link 2 times and it's a story about some early and harsh cold in Peru. Looks to me like they need food and blankets.

Full story quoted below:

"

Children die in harsh Peru winter

By Dan Collyns

BBC News, Lima

Children in the remote southern highlands are often malnourished

Almost 250 children under the age of five have died in a wave of intensely cold weather in Peru.

Children die from pneumonia and other respiratory infections every year during the winter months particularly in Peru's southern Andes.

But this year freezing temperatures arrived almost three months earlier than usual.

Experts blame climate change for the early arrival of intense cold which began in March.

Winter in the region does not usually begin until June.

The extreme cold, which has brought snow, hail, freezing temperatures and strong winds, has killed more children than recorded annually for the past four years.

A total of 246 under the age of five have died so far, only half way through the winter months.

One third of the deaths were registered in the southern region of Puno, much of which is covered by a high plateau known as the altiplano which extends into neighbouring Bolivia.

Aid workers say prolonged exposure to the cold is causing hypothermia and deadly respiratory infections such as pneumonia.

Children, who are often malnourished, are more vulnerable to the extreme cold.

Poverty is widespread in Peru's southern highlands and there is a lack of healthcare and basic services.

The government has declared a state of emergency in the affected areas but critics say the cold snaps are predictable and the annual deaths preventable.

Many have blamed government inefficiency for the deaths.

But Peru's Health Minister, Oscar Ugarte, has said regional officials have not effectively distributed government resources.

Meanwhile in the capital, Lima, it has become an annual ritual for businesses and ordinary citizens to donate blankets, clothes and food for the victims of the cold weather in the south of the country."

The real farce occurred earlier in the evening when the Tacoma Police asked him to say the ABCs and he wound up puking on himself when he got to letter C. Tough day on the rainy spire it was. But they let him go when he promised to quiet down and let the neighbors sleep. After all, he was in own living room, you know, right next to the stack of Rush Limbaugh photos and the empty packets of lubricating jelly.

The real farce occurred earlier in the evening when the Tacoma Police asked him to say the ABCs and he wound up puking on himself when he got to letter C. Tough day on the rainy spire it was. But they let him go when he promised to quiet down and let the neighbors sleep. After all, he was in own living room, you know, right next to the stack of Rush Limbaugh photos and the empty packets of lubricating jelly.

Sheesh, give the guy a break. I'm sure there were no Rush Limbaugh pictures involved. Prolly using spank bank images of Elizabeth Hasselbeck, Sarah Palin and Ann Coulter is a nasty menage' a trois.

Not sure why this story annoyed me more than most. Maybe because the BBC sees fit to weave "climate change crisis" into every story they do? Maybe because they feed the fears of, and appeal to the baser needs of the chronically dumb? Who knows. Here ya go:

Children die in harsh Peru winter

Ahhhh yes, winter in the tropics. I hear it's especially nice a few hundred miles north of the Tropic of Capricorn--well inside the ITCZ.

Almost 250 children under the age of five have died in a wave of intensely cold weather in Peru. Children die from pneumonia and other respiratory infections every year during the winter months particularly in Peru's southern Andes.

So what's the baseline? And how many children died of respiratory infections on Bolivia's altiplano? Oh wait. Is this just a Peru thing? Surely Morales' utopia would never allow such a horror. How many children died of respiratory infections in the United States or Britain last winter for that matter? Is this really a story?

But this year freezing temperatures arrived almost three months earlier than usual. Experts blame climate change for the early arrival of intense cold which began in March.

Wow! That is early! And sudden too. I guess one of the benefits of the recent redefinition from "global warming" to "climate change" is we can have our cake and eat it too! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Global warming. 5 out of 10 "experts" agree! :rolleyes:

The government has declared a state of emergency in the affected areas but critics say the cold snaps are predictable and the annual deaths preventable.

Many have blamed government inefficiency for the deaths.

One third of the deaths were registered in the southern region of Puno, much of which is covered by a high plateau known as the altiplano which extends into neighbouring Bolivia.

Yep! Guess I was right.

Aid workers say prolonged exposure to the cold is causing hypothermia and deadly respiratory infections such as pneumonia.

Children, who are often malnourished, are more vulnerable to the extreme cold.

Thanks for your expertise, aid workers. What do doctors say?

Poverty is widespread in Peru's southern highlands and there is a lack of healthcare and basic services.

Maybe the BBC should do a story about the utter poverty and dead children that line the streets of Sao Paulo, Sucre, or Caracas? Nah. Not part of the agenda.

I'm sure none of the loser "aid workers" are doctors.

Maybe the BBC should do a story about how dumb you are: "'Joe Six Pack' Americans Don't Know Shit About Climate Change Yet Still Spout Out at the Mouth About It".

Get a life, loser. You're expertise lies in being a shithead.

I'm sure none of the loser "aid workers" are doctors.

Maybe the BBC should do a story about how dumb you are: "'Joe Six Pack' Americans Don't Know Shit About Climate Change Yet Still Spout Out at the Mouth About It".

Fuck off, ya pussy. And get back to cleaning that Slurpee machine.

Such a fine retort, Joe, the best I'm sure you can come up with. Everyone gets a medal!! No more tears, Joe, no crying! You won!

Fucking morons like yourself should (but won't) stop hand-picking "facts" about global climate change and look at the stuff called "data" and then use what's called "logic" to consider them. If you were capable of doing that...well...never mind.

It's pretty clear FW's never been to the region and is, as usual, talking out his ass about not much.

Pretty much 10 out of 10 experts agree that

a) The global average temperature is increasing

b) Weather all over the globe is becoming more extreme and

c) the effects of global warming once thought to be out 30 to 50 years are happening right now, ie, even the most alarmist scientists underestimated how rapid the change would come.

It's kind of sad to see a guy like this make such a fool of himself on a public forum by not grasping even the simplest aspects of climate change, not to mention the cultural ignorance.

The idea that local climates just might be affected, yes, even cooled, by changes in ocean currents such as El Nino which are, themselves, effected by increased sea surface temperatures in areas far, far away...well, I would have thought that concept would be within FW's grasp.

Guess not.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Joe Six Pack has all the facts. No sense arguing with a zealot. I'm sure he thinks "The Big Bang" and "Evolution" and "Gravity" are Left-Wing Liberal Elite talking points as well. Crack another brewski, Joe!

:lmao::lmao: You have no idea. But thanks for demonstrating the manner and the degree to which the global warming faithful will stoop when pigeonholing someone they know nothing about. I'll point out that you entered this little discussion with these unprovoked (and, of course, misspelled) gems:

Now, I'm sure you're not like this in person--but who knows. I won't bother asking what your qualifications to intelligently discuss any of the aforementioned topics are, because, based on your demonstrated intellect right here, I know you don't possess any. TTK gets a pass because, well, he's just a poseur with a fair grasp of trivia and a mastery of his keyboard; but you are one wound up little dumb fuck without a clue of any kind.

Nah. That global warming 'faithful' shit doesn't wash. "Yeah, like, you just believe it cuz everybody else does, myan". Well, everybody believes it because all the science points to the same, by now obvious conclusion. Anyone who can't grasp this by now deserves the dumb fuck, or neurotic fuck, as the case may be, award here.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

IMO, the IPCC's conclusions were arrived at, largely, by affirming the consequent. CO2 scattering of IR radiation may yet prove correct as the primary cause of warming, but their "conclusions" fail to address other possible causes for Q.

In any event, my main point was the whole concept of winter in Peru as an argument of semantics and the BBC's uncanny ability to weave "climate change" into every story however far removed from the observable it may be.

Tvash makes sense, but so does Fairweather. Blaming climate change for a single weather event is a sketchy practice. Often when there is a heavy winter storm you hear "Where is climate change when we need it" and when there is a heatwave climate change is blamed. Climate not weather remember that. I had a teacher who phrased it as "Climate is the clothes in your closet, and weather is what you are wearing at the moment." Crazy weather does happen and cannot all be attributed to climate change. And Sarah Palin quit because she killed Michael Jackson, his sister said so.