Denali

Scott_Hoelscher

Been to the summits of some, most or all of the Cascade volcanoes? Ready to take the next big step in mountaineering? We are 2 experienced Portland area climbers organizing a Denali expedition for late May/early June 2002 and need 2-3 strong, ambitious climbers to join. If you are interested in this once in a life time experience contact either Scott or Cory by phone (see below) or respond to this posting. We will be doing winter ascents of Hood and Rainier to prepare. Denali is a 3 week commitment in Alaska and another 6 month commitment preparing for the trip. So quick responses are welcome.Happy Trails!

Scott Hoelscher 503-577-5057Cory 503-756-3899 [Wazzup]

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you ever notice "denali" is just "denial" misspelled?? my spell checker did.

Scott important key to success is coming up with a catchy team name. TEAM HARSH REALM is still taken I guess, maybe you guys could be TEAM SWILL BEER [big Drink] or TEAM WE HATE MARK TWIGHT or something?

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Hoelscher:
Happy Trails!

Scott Hoelscher 503-577-5057Cory 503-756-3899
[Wazzup]

Scott, If your so serious then why the silly " [Wazzup] "

My best guess is that you would probably be way to serious on a climb and be a real pain in the [Moon] to climb with ( or just dangerous).

Let me know what your schedule is so that I can avoid the mountain while your there.

Ok, here is a serious response:

Why the hell do you need 4 or 5 more team mates for your trip? You say that you and your partner are exprerienced, why not just go as a pair.

Personaly, I would think that a team of seven climbers who were assembled on the internet would turn a fun trip into a logistical nightmare. Not to mention the posible tensions of having a group of total strangers together for 3 weeks.

This leads me to wonder- if you are not trying to recruit climbers for the extra money, why the hell would you?

Not to dis your plans, cause the WB of Denali sounds like a fun walk up, but I wouldn't call it a once in a lifetime experience. It's not even out of the US for crist skes. I have several friends who have been there more than once. Get serious...

Obviously Mr. Lombone or whoever you are has never climbed on a glacier before. Climing Denali with 2 people is not prefferred. First of all, if you read the first message, we were looking for 2-3 additional climbers for a total of 4-5 climbers. Not 7! It is safest to travel on a glacier with a rope team of 4, not 2!!

Whats up with the attitude on this message board. "Once in a lifetime" was something I just wrote, don't take it so literally!

Scott - As much as I think Lameboi is an idiot. He has made a few valid points. I've stood on Denali's summit and to say that a team of two is not preferred is not accurate. The best team logistics on that mountain is a team of three. And take the smartaleck advice and get a catchy name. It helps to motivate your team and it's also a requirement.

Keep an open mind and a humble heart on the big mountains. They mean business.

Scott,

I was just joking until you had to go and get all serious on us. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Don't take the attitude so seriously... wink.gif" border="0

Sorry to intrude on your serious expidition planning. I hope all goes well for you. Have fun!

P.S. My friend Andy skied the West Butress with just one partner. Saftey is what you make of it.

Ropegun,Stuff it.

Scott,

I showed up in Talkeetna a few years ago wanting to climb Denali but not having a partner. I had no problem joining a team of New Zealand climbers for most of the climb. After summitting, I joined another party for the glacier slog back down. There are enough climbers on the mountain that you could easily adopt this flexible strategy too. If you find that the other team that you are climbing with is too fast/slow/cautious/risky etc. finding another party to travel with would be straightforward. If my wife and I go up there, this is what we will do.

By the way, I support your opinion that 2 people is a small party on Denali - especially on the Kahiltna. I was on a rope team of 3 when the middle person fell in. It was a stormy day and we were alone on the glacier. I was very glad that there was two on top to set up the crevasse rescue.

Good luck!

Steven

"all of that wasted time planning meals....sewing overboots...organizing shit...memorizing high alaska... you could have been TRAINING!" -Scott Backes to the west butt sloggers c. 1998 (as quoted by Twight) tongue.gif" border="0

You sure done dug yourself a hole scott hole-sure.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Dru ]