Time to ban knives

billcoe

Link

Or at least make people register them. 3 killed in this sensless attack.

"DENDERMONDE, Belgium (AFP) - Two children and an adult were killed on Friday when a man armed with a knife went on a rampage through a child day-care centre northwest of Brussels, a local prosecutor said.

Around 10 children were injured "some of them seriously", according to local prosecutor Christian Du Four, when the man, who had his face painted black and white, ran amok in the crèche in the town of Dendermonde."

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

…the man, who had his face painted black and white, ran amok…

Sometimes painting the face is just a way of showing identification with something as when fans paint their faces to cheer their football team. Sometimes it’s more sinister as when people paint their faces to resemble jaguars (Central/South American death squads).

It seems ritualistic or preparatory, to signal some change needed for a brief excursion from the norm or for the assumption of an identity required for a special task.

It’s more than just painting the face though. It can take other forms such as simply wearing a mask (avatar) or wearing a uniform to depersonalize the individual.

Many of us as youngsters participated in a yearly ritual of trick or treat but few of us experience the breach with society that killing entails.

What about when the state requires you to kill for the greater purpose of national security?

The Psychology Behind Killing

How then were we to “evoke” within our men courage that they did not know they possessed? How do you “inspire” men to pull the trigger when every instinct that is naturally endowed to a human being tells them not to? How do you convince them that the “values,” goals, and ends which they are fighting for actually merit taking the life of another?

...there is, inherent within every individual, a natural abhorrence to killing another human being. Call it a “moral resistance,” “mental-wall,” or whatever you like. It is real and it must be overcome.

The answer, as put by Lt. Col Dave Grossman who wrote the book on the subject, stated: “Since World War II, a new era has quietly dawned in modern warfare: an era of psychological warfare—psychological warfare conducted not upon the enemy, but upon one’s own troops.”

For a country to ever turn its back on its soldiers returning from a war zone is to turn its back on its very future. While many may question a war, and even at times laugh under their breath at such “mindless” concepts as duty, honor, and love of country, these ideals are, ultimately, what keeps a combat veteran on the side of sane, and hence, ensures future national security and stability.

As kids me and my school mates all had pocket knives and no one said shit about it,and don't remember anyone getting stabbed!
Same with guns. Not at school, but we used to walk a few miles along the hwy to our preferred shooting range with rifles in hand. Imagine the reaction now if anyone saw a half dozen 14-15 yr old kids carrying rifles along the road. It would be an all swat team event. Sheesh, what's the world coming to when you can't let your kids run around the neighborhood with a bunch of guns.

We did have a few pretty bad stabbings at our school though. Maybe if we'd brought our guns the stabbings could have been averted?

We did have a few pretty bad stabbings at our school though. Maybe if we'd brought our guns the stabbings could have been averted?

I don't know about that. Take a look at the news from my alma mater.

Just 21 months ago another nut case went berserk with a handgun and killed 32 folks, then himself. One of my favorite professors was among the murdered.

I don't know about that. Take a look at the news from my alma mater.

Just 21 months ago another nut case went berserk with a handgun and killed 32 folks, then himself. One of my favorite professors was among the murdered.

Yet another tragedy reflecting the ills of our "society". Very sorry your professor was one of the unfortunate victims of that nutjob. I don't think arming students would be the wisest action but if there had been other armed people, weather security guards or staff, perhaps not so many innocent people would have been shot before the gunman could have been taken out? No easy answers in these cases but what I always wonder about is what is the underlying cause(s) of these nutjobs going postal? To many violent video games/movies at to young of an age? Poor parenting? Cruel peers? Anti-depression drugs? Or a sum cumulative effect of some or all of the above and other influences? Sure, there have always been nutjobs, it just seems like they are way more now than when I was a kid. It sure seems like a poor reflection of what our culture glamorizes that has to have something to do with why we see so much senseless violence lately.

There has never not been "senseless violence" - with the advent of global media coverage, we learn of it now when, in the past to an extent, there may only have been rumor of what happened "way over yonder".

...or, maybe I'm too fresh still in my recent viewing of the theatrical "Sweeney Todd" with Ray Winstone.

300sweeney.jpg

There has never not been "senseless violence" - with the advent of global media coverage, we learn of it now when, in the past to an extent, there may only have been rumor of what happened "way over yonder".

...or, maybe I'm too fresh still in my recent viewing of the theatrical "Sweeney Todd" with Ray Winstone.

300sweeney.jpg

Thats like calling the cops about "SHOTS FIRED" in N.E. Portland,Or.,if your lucky a cop will drive by and look around but not stop,call 911 in Vancouver,WA."SHOTS FIRED" and cops are all over it and it's on the TV News the next day!!

NY and LA have allways had gun deaths,they just don't make the News,hell my Art Teacher in High School had moved for NY were he taught because kids would shot you and that was in 74,but wasn't a big deal til Springfield Or.?

I am saddened by the senseless loss of life in this and the many other massacres that have plagued our society recently.

I truly hope that the title of this post was a joke. Can anyone imagine going through their cutlery drawer and writing the make and model of each their butter knives on a government form? murraysovereign predicted it, but it is true, that if everyone had knives or guns there would be fewer stabbings and shootings. Criminals don't prey on the armed, but the weak, those who cannot resist.

Maybe if a teacher or student at VT had been permitted to carry a concealed weapon, fewer people would have died. denalidave, why should students not be armed if they meet all of the states requirements to own carry a handgun? Would Cho have killed 32 people if students and staff had been able to fight back?

Allowing law-abiding people to arm themselves offers more than piece of mind for those individuals -- it pays off for everybody through lower crime rates. Statistics from the FBI’s Uniformed Crime Report of 2007 show that states with right-to-carry laws have a 30% lower homicide rate, 46% lower robbery, and 12% lower aggravated assault rate and a 22% lower overall violent crime rate than do states without such laws. That is why more and more states have passed right-to-carry laws over the past decade.

denalidave, why should students not be armed if they meet all of the states requirements to own carry a handgun? Would Cho have killed 32 people if students and staff had been able to fight back?

I'm with you on that line of thought. I just said I'm not sure it would be the wisest thing. I do feel if more good/sane/qualified people have guns(too) when the nuts go postal it could likely keep the casualty count down much lower. Sure the nutjobs will still go off, but they won't get the chance to take 30+ people out with them in the time it takes for the police to show up. On the other hand, do we really want a school full of gun toting folks? Seems like there has to be a balance in the middle somewhere. I guess the real crux is determining who is qualified/sane and trustworthy with a loaded gun or sharp knife in a public venue. A lot of nutjobs would still be qualified, at least on paper.

I can understand that some people are reluctant to have a bunch of gun toting folks at a school, mall or anywhere. But look where gun free zones have gotten us. We need the gun toting folks to keep the criminals in line. Laws don't matter to criminals. People who would kill someone will think nothing of taking a gun where they are not supposed to, or illegally aquiring one. They'll do what they want if they think they can get away with it or don't care. That's why the people that take the time to get a concealed carry permit and do the right thing are very unlikely to commit crimes. For example, Florida, which has issued more carry permits than any state has issued 1.36 million permits, but revoked only 165 (0.01%) due to gun crimes by permit-holders.

Mexico has strong gun control laws and now only the criminals and the police have guns. Both are preying on the honest civilians and it's out of control. They have 3 kidnappings a day on average (sometimes they use machettes), more than Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran combined. The guns are mostly smuggled from the US, however, if the US didn't have a single firearm, they'd easily get them elsewhere....Uganda, Afganistan, lots of countries in South America....

IMO, guns should be in the hands of every law abiding citizen for political reasons first and foremost.