Ski Helmets

sirwoofalot

OK, so I refuse to allow my children on the slops with out helmets, but I have never purchased one for my wife and I.

I really want to end my double standard and want to buy some ski helmets for my wife and I.

For me comfort is most important. For my wife it is going to be style.

What are the most important points I need to look for in a ski helmet?

Are there specific brands, makes and/or models I should avoid?

Are there specific brands, makes and/or models I should look for?

Does the manufacturing country be a consideration?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've skied for a long long time. I always figured helmets were for racers. Last year I changed my mind and decided that a helmet was worth the dollars. After all there are all kinds of obstacles that no matter how good you are you can never be 100% on top of things all the time.

I ended up getting a Leedom Prophet

Web sales site

I don't have a long experience with ski helmets. All I can say is they are fairly comfortable.

Dude, they are worth it. Warmer and more comfortable that a hat in my opinion. I'd look for one with adjustable vents, which are extremely handy. Switching the vent from "on" to "off" is for me about the equivelent in temperature regulation as taking a layer off. It lets you control your temp really well. Also check that the goggles you use fit the helmet and dont leave a big gap on your forehead. I bought a Leedom something or other about 7 years ago and I still use it, the thing is awesome.

Oh yeah, and they protect your noodle.

I have an older Leedom too and it's been a great helmet. For years I would only occasionally wear my helmet, but it took one fall on really hard ice to change my mind on that. Luckily I had my helmet on because it still really rung my bell.

Look for adjustable vents, and if you do a lot of spring skiing one that has a lot of them. Mine is a bit uncomfortable on the forehead, probably due to being a tad too small and packed out. Leedom and Giro are the gold standard brands for ski helmets.

Really though, I've had enough bad sh1t happen to me or seen over the last 10 years to where I wouldn't even think of climbing, biking, or skiing without a helmet. I've been on a rescue or seen two climbing accidents resulting in death or severe trauma that could have been avoided by wearing a helmet. In both cases the person had the helmet WITH THEM but didn't wear it. A girl died in a tree well at Bachelor about 4 years ago after hitting a tree and going unconscious.. didn't find her until the summer, all because she didn't have a helmet. Just wear one, you'll look a lot less stupid with one on then in a wheel chair drooling on yourself.

I agree helmets can be more comfortable than a beanie.

The most important things are: fit, light weight, ventilation options, music input (?)

-Fit goes without saying

-Light weight - it is suprising how much difference this makes on your neck when resort skiing and hitting it hard all day. In the backcountry it is going to be in/on your pack during the ascent (probably), so important there too. There is a huge range in weight of ski helmets.

-Ventilation - some helmets have removable vent plugs, or a slider switch to allow or block airflow. Very nice if you will be in a range of temps.

-Music input - personal preference.

The Giro Nine.9 is a classic (is it still made?) and has all of these features.

I have a Giro. It's got the adjustable vent plugs and is wired for an iPod or phone. It's very comfortable. That's the only reason I ended up with the one I did because I really didn't need all the extras.

Like Snoboy posted above, you'll be wearing it all day so try on a bunch of different ones and pick one that fits and is most comfortable on your head.

Wearing a helmet for anything but the most extreme off piste skiing is for sissies. A toque with a tassel or pom pom has served me well for more than 40 years.

:tdown::tdown:

No matter how good you are or how non extreme the slopes you ski are you can still suffer accidents that you don't just limp away from. Sometimes accidents don't sound that bad. Believe it or not your brain plays a major role in how your body functions.

I can tell you a unpleasant story.

Wearing a helmet for anything but the most extreme off piste skiing is for sissies. A toque with a tassel or pom pom has served me well for more than 40 years.

:tdown::tdown:

No matter how good you are or how non extreme the slopes you ski are you can still suffer accidents that you don't just limp away from. Sometimes accidents don't sound that bad. Believe it or not your brain plays a major role in how your body functions.

I can tell you a unpleasant story.

Seatbelts are for sissies too!