oath

Gary_Yngve

should Obama have said it the correct way, instead of repeating what the chief justice said, or should Obama have said it the same way the chief justice said, to honor the "repeat after me?"

though note that Roberts finished with "So help you God" which Obama translated to "So help me God"

not quite a literal repeat

i guess that means Obama passes the Turing Test

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

should Obama have said it the correct way, instead of repeating what the chief justice said, or should Obama have said it the same way the chief justice said, to honor the "repeat after me?"

though note that Roberts finished with "So help you God" which Obama translated to "So help me God"

not quite a literal repeat

i guess that means Obama passes the Turing Test

you are retarded

The NPR account that I heard said that "Obama paused to give the Chief Justice time to correct himself." From this I can reasonably conclude that Roberts fucked it up, there was a pregnant pause, Roberts recognized his error and corrected himself, to which Obama replied according to the words for the Oath of Office written in our Constitution. Done deal.

Here is how the Oath of Office reads in the Constitution:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

This is what was said yesterday:

ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama...

OBAMA: I, Barack...

ROBERTS: ... do solemnly swear...

OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear...

ROBERTS: ... that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...

OBAMA: ... that I will execute...

ROBERTS: ... faithfully the office of president of the United States...

OBAMA: ... the office of president of the United States faithfully...

ROBERTS: ... and will to the best of my ability...

OBAMA: ... and will to the best of my ability...

ROBERTS: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

OBAMA: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

ROBERTS: So help you God?

OBAMA: So help me God.

ROBERTS: Congratulations, Mr. President.

transcript source

So Obama gets one word out of place, and all sorts of people want him to do a "do-over".

Have we become that litigious of a society? :rolleyes:

Shit, grammatically, Obama said it correctly, because as the Oath is written in the Constitution, it's a split infinitive. I'm sure some of y'all oldtimers remember in your grammar school days when the English teacher told ya that Captain Kirk used a split infinitive when he recited the intro to Star Trek. Y'all remember, "To boldly go..."? That's what I'm talkin' about.

As Choada Boy links, experts all agree that he should do it over, and one opinion I read hints that he may have already done so.

So Obama gets one word out of place, and all sorts of people want him to do a "do-over".

Have we become that litigious of a society? :rolleyes:

Another thing we have the likes of Karl Rove to thank for.

I don't want to see this administration deal with the kind of shit that the last administration had to deal with. Ya know, how liberals said that Bush "stole the election" and all that shit. Now, I don't want to hear conservatives say that Obama is not the "real" president, just because he flubbed a word in the Oath of Office (but made the Oath grammatically correct). I can just hear it coming... :rolleyes:

it's not a split infinitive. infinitives are of the form

"to (verb)". there is some form of splitting, but otherwise it's future tense, active voice.

Goddammit Gary, fine! It's some fuq'n form of splitting: "will faithfully perform..."

Anyone got a guess? Where's Archie? She's generally good at this sort of shite.