or the truth might get in......

Peter_Puget

I disagree and believe that anyone who believes that they "know" beyond a shadow of a doubt that they know exactly what happened and how is:

1) A narcissistic fool

Sh*t, I was thinking exactly this when I started reading your post. None of us - as in all of us, really know but a drop in the bucket about the universe: certainly not the how's, when's, what's or the why's if any.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Theories stand until they fail repeatable testing. That's what 'knowing' something means in science.

I didn't think I'd have to define this for anyone here. I assumed it was common, gradeschool type stuff, but I guess I was wrong.

Well, when we make that first cell and let it evolve into a human a few dozen times, I will concede the point to you then. See you in 2,398,897 bish!

I disagree and believe that anyone who believes that they "know" beyond a shadow of a doubt that they know exactly what happened and how is:

1) A narcissistic fool

2) Is afraid that their delicate views of the way things are would be shattered if they were to think for themselves and use all information available to formulate their idea of what life is, what the meaning of it is and why we are here.

This goes both ways. There are religious maniacs on both sides of the spectrum. Some religious maniacs choose God and some choose Darwin.

you are setting up a false opposition here. no one in the scientific community slavishly or maniacally 'follows' Darwin. What they do find is that his theories contain a great deal of explanatory and predictive power, and they have in the main been validated by 150 years of continuous research and observation. Have they 'proven' everything, and do they have a complete story from beginning to end? No, of course not, that isn't the point.

does everyone in the scientific community agree on all points concerning Darwin's theories (or any other scientific theory, for that matter)? No, of course not, and that means the scientific method is working. Being sceptical and finding some place to peck away at and improve or replace a theory or sub-theory is the way to make your science career.

what such people might get 'maniacal' about from time to time is the sheer idiocy of those who don't understand what science is, asking for something that science cannot provide (and frankly doesn't care to).

your argument is a cheap attempt to claim equal standing for creationists v. scientists by pointing to shadowy, unsubstantiated 'maniacs' out there in science land. it evidently works for those who are bound and determined to be creationists, but it is pathetic anywhere else.

During the ID trial in PA, the ID folks' strongest scientific witness presented a molecular diagram of a flagellum, which rotates like a propeller to propel the organism. Truly a remarkable structure; basically a tiny electric motor. His argument was that if any part was missing, the thing wouldn't work; how could it have evolved? Why would nature come up with a simpler version (missing parts) that didn't do anything?

Which sounded great, until the evolutionists presented a molecular diagram of the exact same structure, missing one key component so that the whip no longer rotated. It didn't have to; it was an injector for the organism that causes malaria. No rotation required. Apparently, the ID scientist was unaware of it.

Oops.

That peer review will get you every time. And that's the difference between myths like ID, which are not tested and peer reviewed, and therefore are simply a matter of personal faith, and science. Scientific theories must withstand testing or they do not survive. Myths, protected from scutiny as they are by their adoring followership who, after all, have not interest in counterargument, can go on forever.

ever read 'Darwins Black Box'? same sort of drivel.

There is much that surpasses the knowledge of science. There are things which science cannot explain. Maybe when the Particle Accelerator reaches full speed in a few months we'll know more.

I just think you are assuming a lot when you place all your stock in one idea; particularly when that idea is not complete.

Furthermore, denigrating others for their beliefs is not conducive to teaching them why they are wrong. I have worked with people with extremely different beliefs than I and have witnessed others using your tactics to try and secure victory. You may be right but you will convince no-one. You wonder why people don't adhere to your theory? Probably because pompous people like you are so condescending and rude.

Furthermore, countering one piece of evidence of a theory doesn't necessarily negate the validity of the theory. Nor does chit-chat about bananas.

please define this 'knowledge of science' thing. most scientists i've hung around with claimed not to 'know' very much.

Theories stand until they fail repeatable testing. That's what 'knowing' something means in science.

I didn't think I'd have to define this for anyone here. I assumed it was common, gradeschool type stuff, but I guess I was wrong.

Honestly, do we really need to "know" anything when all we are are agglomerations of lifestyle product preferences and temporary receptacles for corporate products? And if this is true, wouldn't it be really nice to have an afterlife to look forward to?

You guys seems to be confusing the main Judeo-Christian creation texts with a narrow definition of creationism. But anyhow......

Like moths to a flame......

South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler sharply attacked Sarah Palin today, saying John McCain had chosen a running mate "whose primary qualification seems to be that she hasn’t had an abortion.” link

There is much that surpasses the knowledge of science. There are things which science cannot explain. Maybe when the Particle Accelerator reaches full speed in a few months we'll know more.

I just think you are assuming a lot when you place all your stock in one idea; particularly when that idea is not complete.

Furthermore, denigrating others for their beliefs is not conducive to teaching them why they are wrong. I have worked with people with extremely different beliefs than I and have witnessed others using your tactics to try and secure victory. You may be right but you will convince no-one. You wonder why people don't adhere to your theory? Probably because pompous people like you are so condescending and rude.

Furthermore, countering one piece of evidence of a theory doesn't necessarily negate the validity of the theory. Nor does chit-chat about bananas.

please define this 'knowledge of science' thing. most scientists i've hung around with claimed not to 'know' very much.

AKA's a guy with a big mouth but no experience with the professional practice of science, so don't expect much of an coherent answer. He doesn't actually understand the theory of evolution, biology, or any other aspect of the discussion that might make his participation even halfway interesting or relevant. When you get tired of his ID Playbook generalities and cliches and actually call him out on his lack of knowledge, the little pussy predictably starts whining about being persecuted by the pompous and rude elitists who JUST WON'T DEIGN TO SPEAK TO HIM AT HIS LEVEL; the required response for one who just can't stay in the kitchen during an actual debate of any real substance. This is the standard floor show for ID types, kind of like seeing the Spokane High School's production of "Cats" for the 1000th time, most of whom just don't have the background to absorb even the plainest explanation of what evolution, or science for that matter, really is. Boring, and pointless.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Oh, hey, AKA. How many scientists have you worked with or know personally? And please give us a bibliography of peer reviewed books or periodicals you've read by practicing scientists? As a POST GRAD, it's gotta be a huge list. You seem to know so much about scientists, cuz, you know, they're all pretty much the same, I just thought I'd ask.

Edited by tvashtarkatena