• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
a-vibrant-soul

Climbable rock in a neighborhood in Renton!

:shock: Holy Granite in Renton! I do believe that Windermere listing is what Linda was talking about, right down to the cobble gravel driveway. Price seems a little steep to me, I'm glad I got my little 32 acres with the cliff all back in the day when land was affordable.

Doesn't look like granite.

looks like crap basalt or rhyloite

Hey bitches! I not only live in Renton, I am Renton. I gotta tell you that rock is half dirt and choss. Bad investment if you ask me.

Hmmmmm...Why do people keep posting this crap?

How do you spell "loveing"?

My wife grew up about a half mile from this place; her aunt and uncle, until about 3 years ago, lived immediately above it. We went hiking with her brother yesterday, so I asked them if they knew anything about it. Apparently it's an old quarry - it perhaps was called the Black River Quarry? Didn't have any beta as to climbability, but they did say that in the mid 60's one of their little classmates fell to his death there.

Cheers!

- rob

Is it located down a gully by the school?

Hey!!...I made that hike past the school and down the gully. It was actually kind of a cool outing. Glad I left the rope in the car!

Are you guys talking about the rock of exit 15? I live really close to there so go there quite often. There are two bolted routes and two toproped climbs. The routes are easy but are a little awkward and a little dirty however nothing loose. If you live less than 15 minutes away it's worth it.

To get there just take exit 15 and follow 900 (aka Renton Issaquah Rd) South. About 5 minutes past Talus it is on your right, just across from Pacific Top Soil.

Back in the 80s I remember climbing some sandstone like rock on some private property somewhere near Pacific Top Soil. We only did one toprope pitch then the property owner came over and yelled at us. :grlaf:

Isn't that the drytool crag? You really shouldn't be free climbing there, you might ruin the rock for the rest of us who only come on dark rainy fall night to scratch up those with our ice tools. You'll just have to find another choss pile. ;-)