n00b Alert 4/19 & 20 - 11Worth

fenderfour

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man! He FINALLY makes my ignore list! I didn't think it was going to happen.

it does seem strange - for a man so opposed to bolts, you'd think he'd dig on folks sticking to scrambling?

Well I was thinking that the heavy dude in the white t-shirt was Don. Well, but you know what they say: "once a narrow-minded hater, always a narrow-minded hater."

"Can't teach an old-dawg new tricks" blah blah

I do not go in for bashing the mounties as a group but since they are the most common group to run into around here I have a few stories.

One time, my girls and I had bee top-roping in Icicle and the Mounties moved in. The "leader" walked right up to and asked in a stern voice, "Are you going to be here much longer?"

It was all I could do to muster a polite response in front of my girls but I managed to say "I don't know but we were here first anyway." To which he replied "Well we are a big group and I can't be responsible if one of them drops something on you."

So I asked him, "Are you responsible if they drop something on each other?" He told me I didn't have to be a smart-ass and walked off. We yo-yoed a couple times and then they each wanted to top out and walk off so we did that. When we came around to the bottom of the rock, there was a party from the large group tieing into my rope. I politely informed him and he said it would be OK if I used another one right beside us. That was reasonable since I had seen the anchors above. We tied in and started climbing. The "Leader" ran over and was beat red and barely able to contain himself as he demanded that we come down immediately and utie from his rope. At this point my girls were getting freaked out. We complied with his demands and asked the team using my rope to follow suit so we could leave.

The last time I saw the "Leader" he was glaring at me as I walked away.

My girls now equate the Mountaineers with "Jerk". They were 8 and 10 at the time.

Way to "Lead" dude.

The Mounties would do well to include basic common decency courses in their leader seminars. When I tell my story around a camp fire it is uncommon that someone does not have a similar story. Any group will have a percentage of jerks and they should be planned for and trained or rejected accordingly.

I have also run into far more groups of Mounties who have been polite, courteous and fun to encounter. But as a customer service trainer I know it is the bad experiences that stand out in peoples' minds.

I do not go in for bashing the mounties as a group but since they are the most common group to run into around here I have a few stories.

One time, my girls and I had bee top-roping in Icicle and the Mounties moved in. The "leader" walked right up to and asked in a stern voice, "Are you going to be here much longer?"

It was all I could do to muster a polite response in front of my girls but I managed to say "I don't know but we were here first anyway." To which he replied "Well we are a big group and I can't be responsible if one of them drops something on you."

So I asked him, "Are you responsible if they drop something on each other?" He told me I didn't have to be a smart-ass and walked off. We yo-yoed a couple times and then they each wanted to top out and walk off so we did that. When we came around to the bottom of the rock, there was a party from the large group tieing into my rope. I politely informed him and he said it would be OK if I used another one right beside us. That was reasonable since I had seen the anchors above. We tied in and started climbing. The "Leader" ran over and was beat red and barely able to contain himself as he demanded that we come down immediately and utie from his rope. At this point my girls were getting freaked out. We complied with his demands and asked the team using my rope to follow suit so we could leave.

My girls now equate the Mountaineers with "Jerk". They were 8 and 10 at the time.

Way to "Lead" dude.

The Mounties would do well to include basic common decency courses in their leader seminars. When I tell my story around a camp fire it is uncommon that someone does not have a similar story. Any group will have a percentage of jerks and they should be planned for and trained or rejected accordingly.

I have also run into far more groups of Mounties who have been polite, courteous and fun to encounter. But as a customer service trainer I know it is the bad experiences that stand out in peoples' minds.

FWIW, I've heard similar stories about RMI guides on Rainier acting like total assholes.

luckily, stuff like that never happens on message boards tho

Last year I took my friend up to Mountaineers Dome to teach him how to place pro, do some mock leads etc. Besides us there were just two other guys doing some easy leads.

About an hour later a couple rolls in with their three kids. They are all noisy as hell, including the "father". He walks right up to us and says "I guess we've ruined your quiet day, ha ha". He then proceeded to set up a top rope, and make as much noise and be as obnoxious as possible with his kids. To be honest, I don't think the kids made any noise at all by comparison to this total fucking jackass. We finished the pitch we were on and moved up the hill to the easy 5.2 and 5.6 cracks up high just to get away from this asshole.

Man! He FINALLY makes my ignore list! I didn't think it was going to happen.

it does seem strange - for a man so opposed to bolts, you'd think he'd dig on folks sticking to scrambling?

You got me all wrong, Sparky...I dig them particular folks! My commentary might have been a little cheeky, but dang, I'd like to have a beer and a sammy with anyone of 'em or the whole darn group! Scramble on!

Way to "Lead" dude.

bug...very similar to what happened to me...i was a little more "vocal" and wound up telling the guy "if you touch my rope, i'm gonna get pissed and its gonna get ugly"...damn, i was furious...it has colored every view i've had of them since...the other occasion was a mazama group at smiff...