Where to stay in Switzerland?

ClimbingPanther

We're honeymooning in Europe during July, and Switzerland is on the list. I insisted on riding the Glacier Express, but I'd like to stay a few days somewhere along the way that isn't as expensive as Zermatt & St. Moritz (or Davos). Somewhere that has good day hiking & gorgeous high mountains & deep valleys. But it needs to be on the Glacier Express or within an hour or two of it by train.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interlaken is cool,but touristy, but very accessible to hiking and climbing. I stayed in Vevey, on Lake Geneva for a couple weeks. You might want to consder looping it into your plans. Very nice place for a romantic couple ;)

Valle d'Aosta in Italy. Ride the tram from Chamonix up and over the Alps/border and down into Courmayeur, then catch a bus to town.

Since you'll be on your honeymoon, make sure you complete the "Halfway to Heaven Tango" during your tram ride. 8D It's the next best thing to joining the Mile High Club.

any more suggestions? surely there's other knowledgable souls out there.

confusing "willing to share" with "not knowing" again?

Engelberg is in the middle of the mountains and scenic. Since it's easily reachable by train its quite touristed. Valle d'osta = nicely smoggy

In Sudtirol there's the fantasticly located Becherhaus http://www.becherhaus.com/ which I'd love to visit someday

follow the yellow signs from the village, it's not exactly hard, even you could do it Climbing Panther. Every village has numerous trails, marked, with signposts that include the hiking time to pertinent destinations. The newstand in town will sell the hiking topo map of the local region.

...Valle d'osta = nicely smoggy...

Didn't have that trouble when we were there. 'course, it was in mid-April. Mebbe it gets worse in the summer?

hmmm - maybe winter inversions? Dunno - that was my impression when I dropped down from the St. Bernard. Lots of the alp valleys have smog layers now :( Nice cheap wine in the Aostatal though! :tup::tup:

In that region - Grimentz (1 hr bus from Sion supposedly) http://www.grimentz-stjean.ch/en/Place/ is quite scenic in the traditional sense, should be some nice walking and plenty of "alpage"

Instead of stopping in St. Anton keep on going down the tracks another 2 hrs to Innsbruck. Spend the night in town then take the bus up to Stubai (regular service from the train station, bus takes 1.5ish hours in winter) - glacier walking/high alpine touring/skiing a plenty up there. The BecherHaus (www.becherhaus.com) is a half day/day climb from the lifts at Stubai.

www.postbus.at and www.oebb.at provide transport links for Austria www.sbb.ch is the swiss rail system.