Where to honeymoon?

Bug

If you go to Peru, think about actually hiking the inca trail to Macchu Pichu. You have to be guided and its best to book it in advance.

Have you done this?

It sounds good from the links I looked at but I would want to be sure about the camping. It would be a bummer to be camped next to someone's llama pen or some other armpit. On the other hand, if there were nice natural sites with views and peaceful settings, I might bring it up.

How are the bugs?

How many amenites along the way?

The links I saw were not very detailed.

A great local (Seattle) eco/sport tour operator is Southern Explorations. They arrange tours all throughout Latin America. www.southernexplorations.com My friend works for them and did the Machu Picchu trip and said it was the trip of a lifetime (he also did the Costa Rica tour and had no complaints, I mean, it's Costa Rica!). Lots of other tours and great pics on their website and cool people who run the company.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Belize in November which was at the end of the wet season. September would likely see daily rain showers. There are, however, some really affordable and beautiful resorts that would be great for a honeymoon. In the Pine Ridge Area, there is the Five Sisters Lodge, which is a really beautiful place overlooking a waterfall. There are some excursions to Mayan ruins and some modest hiking. We also stayed at the Lamanai Outpost Lodge. This involves a 30 mile boat ride to get to. It is much more expensive but it was in an incredible jungle setting with easy access to some really cool Mayan ruins and nice boating. Check out the websites below.

Lamanai Outpost Lodge

Five Sisters Lodge

I hiked the Inca Trail from the "kilometer 88" starting point back when you didn't need a guide. The first day involved a lot of elevation gain. There are other starting points that are easier hikes but if she is in good shape, the 4 day from km 88 is the best choice. Keep in mind that you would be there during a transitional month and expect some rain.

If you are looking for a relaxing time with non-commiting hiking and some cultural excursions, I'd go with Belize. If you are looking for a more adventurous honeymoon, then I'd go with Peru.

Hiking in the Italian Dolomites: hut to hut, is not crowded in sept, weather is perfect, showers, amazing scenery and you can finish it off with a coupe days in Venice/florence whatever!!

Northern Italy is a great idea, but pair it with half your time spent in Southern France. Hit Les Calanques for easy routes and lounging on the beach in the fjords. September in this part of the world will be brilliant.

Guess you didn't have as romantic a visit as I did.

I had dysentary. It wasn't very romantic. Yes, it's beautiful. Yes, there's tons of culture. Yes, it's industrial tourism.

I've been to Tirol in Oe. I like tirol - there's a ton of huts in the mountains to hike/bike/ski into, quite a few that would be suitable for familys.

Guess you didn't have as romantic a visit as I did.

I had dysentary. It wasn't very romantic. Yes, it's beautiful. Yes, there's tons of culture. Yes, it's industrial tourism.

I've been to Tirol in Oe. I like tirol - there's a ton of huts in the mountains to hike/bike/ski into, quite a few that would be suitable for familys.

Industrial tourism? As is Macchu Picchu.

I would recommend the Tirol AND a place like Florence (or Sienna or Assissi, which are smaller and quieter) or Venice. A little Sound of Music, a little Michelangelo. What's not to love?

peru is nice and all but you will need alot more than 10 days there. dont bother if that is all the time you have. Costa Rica is a good spot. Kauai is horrid, nothing to see there. Dont bother, too many tourists, the reef is dead and it is cold year round.

...AND a place like Florence (or Sienna or Assissi, which are smaller and quieter) or Venice. A little Sound of Music, a little Michelangelo. What's not to love?

If we're gonna go that far "south of the border", then I would add/recommend:

Vinci

Pisa

the beach at Tirrenia

the mountains of Montenero

Quercinella

Castiglioncello

10 days in early September.

Machu Pichu is under close scrutiny.

We are not a formal pair ( she owns 1 dress that I know of).

She does not climb.

While I am hoping to get some good ideas, spray is welcome too.

I would recommend spending most of your honeymoon in the vagina. :D

...AND a place like Florence (or Sienna or Assissi, which are smaller and quieter) or Venice. A little Sound of Music, a little Michelangelo. What's not to love?

If we're gonna go that far "south of the border", then I would add/recommend:

Vinci

Pisa

the beach at Tirrenia

the mountains of Montenero

Quercinella

Castiglioncello

Yes, I would also recommend "South of the Border"

south_of_border_main.jpg