My son likes snow boarding better than skiing!

minx

Oh the horror! My son confessed to me this morning that he had more fun snowboarding this week than he did skiing. After all those years of skiing and even recently buying him his first AT set up, he'd rather go snowboarding tomorrow.

Where did I go wrong?????

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some things we can't protect our kids from. And on the bright side, there are alot worse things he could be doing. Just encourage him to wear a helmet. I work in healthcare and there are way too many kids coming in the ER with heads smashed from snowboarding falls.

I feel your pain. We started as a family about 5 years ago now. My son, 7 at the time, insisted that he wanted to learn snow boarding and not skiing. :cry:

But my Daughter, 4 at that time, was all about skiing and LOVES it! :grin:

Oh, and as for helmets, yeah man! All the time. Bikes, Ski/Board(s), roller skates; I love the new catch phrase, "Lids on Kids".

What could be worse? He could be Telewhacking.

I don't see a problem. Snowboarding is great fun. I think I may put the skis aside and go snowboarding this weekend. :tup:

AT is WAY better than split boarding so as long as you can get him into the backcountry you won't have a problem. Who cares what he's on in the resort?

what's next????? what could be worse???

i'm devestated. please help!

Thank your lucky stars. It could be far worse. He could be a sport climber.

I snowboarded for 16 years before ditching the board and buying skis. So, don't give up hope!

I snowboarded for 16 years before ditching the board and buying skis. So, don't give up hope!

yeah...but you're a freak...

rumr--i believe you have a skier in the family no?

he just started climbing again....finally. maybe snowboarding is a gateway drug to sport climbing and he'll never do an alpine route w/me? :cry:

actually two of 'em...apparently taped subliminal messages do not work... :cry:

yeah...but you're a freak...

I guess that makes me a freak too since I bought skis this year after 16 years of snowboarding.

Still love snowboarding though. There are conditions where snowboarding is much easier and more enjoyable than skiing most notably the heavy elephant snot that we frequently get in Whistler.

• 2 weeks later...

Minx,

If you want I'll come over and give the boy a talk about the importance of wearing a helmet even on something that appears to have low risk.

As for skiing/snowboarding. That's a tough lesson he's going to have to learn on his own. I was brought up to ski at a very young age. Snowboarding wasn't around then. Since then I've tried boarding since it looked like a cool new thing. The truth is it is a cool way to slide on snow.

I think your best approach is to tell the boy that ski areas are training for the real thing which is backcountry skiing. I learned that from my dad at a young age. Offer to take him backcountry skiing a lot. I'd even offer to buy him an backcountry setup, but tell him that he's going to have to work to earn his own money to buy a snowboard or splitboard.

• 4 weeks later...