Anyone ever lost a kid before?

RuMR

Lost :pagetop:

I cried when I saw my son for the very first time, in his crib in Saigon. Never thought for a moment I could feel that way for something not of my loins. Did it again 3 years later in Chongquing. It just goes to show...

Back on topic:

Haven't lost Nicholas yet (knock knock), but one time Gramma and Nick were at the schoolyard down the street from her house when he was just over 2 years old. She left him (!!!!1) at the jungle gym and walked off about 200 yards with her goddamn mutts so they could take a shit.

Found out about it later when he was crying to me about it that evening. I asked my MIL about it, and she was totally clueless.

MIL: "Oh, he was right where I could see him all the time."

Me: "How far away were you?"

MIL: "The other corner of the playground."

Me: "Geezuz Christ, Joan, that's 200 yards away! That's like from the Earth to the Moon for him!"

He didn't want to go anywhere with Gramma for almost 2 years after that. Just didn't trust her. For that matter, neither did I...

Lost my daughter at the Seattle Children's Museum when she was about 2 years old.

My wife was (supposed to be) watching her while I was taking Nick around the "ping pong ball" room (those of you that have been there know what I'm talking about). We were there with our kids' cousin and his parents. The three parents start wagging their tongues when I walk up with Nick.

Me: "Hey Hon, where's Elaina?"

Wife: look of absolute and sheer terror once she realizes E is not there.

Me: "I'm heading for the main entrance to have them close the gate (again, if you've been there, you would know it would be no problem to walk out with a kid, especially one who thinks that everyone is her friend)! You head that way (gesturing toward the water feature that we had just been forced to pry Elaina away from)!

After getting the gate closed down, I ran back and started looking in the direction that we had been heading through the museum. There's a safari jeep in there just past the PP ball room, and there she was in the driver seat, tearing across the Serengeti plain at breakneck speed.

Total elapsed time of panic: 3 to 4 minutes.

Time off my life: 10 years. :rolleyes:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of those flaming liberals who always preach against the government infringing on our privacy rights; but if they offered GPS locater chips to be implanted permanently into children, I would put both of my kids in the head of the line and pay the price. The thought of losing one is beyond comprehension.

Your first sentence, "I lost my kid at stevens pass yesterday" sure gave my stomach a serious flip flop

I jumped to the same conclusion as well.. really glad everything worked out alright RuMR!

I remember getting lost in a busy market place when I was a kid (back in India). Once my parents found me, apart from feeling the biggest relief ever, I remember my father giving my ears a nice twist until I cried my lungs out. Of course, I learnt the lesson and never got lost again :eveeel: .

Nn5jlrxcpkI

My mom lost me at a basketball game when I was 5. That freaked the shit out of both she and I! I ended up getting picked up by some empathetic mom who took me to the "speaker room", and at which time they blasted my mom's name across husky stadium.

She came running full speed and in tears. Like you, she then took me to get hot cocoa and all was well:)

Rudy you had me going there for a second. All's well that ends well.

It's been so long now, but someone else will remember this post, it was by the guy who owns the brewery out in eastern Oregon.

He wrote about when he really 'lost' his daughter in a white water accident. Probably the saddest thing I've ever read on this site. Posting was in 2000-2001 time frame.

...It's been so long now, but someone else will remember this post, it was by the guy who owns the brewery out in eastern Oregon.

He wrote about when he really 'lost' his daughter in a white water accident. Probably the saddest thing I've ever read on this site. Posting was in 2000-2001 time frame.

I think it was this thread...

. I'm glad everything worked out okay for you. Whew.

there is still an open question here.

Radios or cell phones?

does anyone know if all ski areas have cell phone service?

If you get some of the mid-range radios I think they have up to a 5 mile range, but they also have a privacy code setting in addition to the usual 10 channels or so, which really cuts down the chatter from other radios in the area.

The only issue I see is that they may not reach over the ridge line (front side of Stevens to back side) where a cell phone with coverage would. That said the radios will work anywhere regardless of coverage.

Twice I have had the feeling of a "lost kid." The second one was when my daughter was about 3 and decided it would be fun to play hide-n-seek at the park one day. Only lasted for about three minutes, but I could have killed innocient people during that time.

The first was when she was about 6 months old. I went out to the car for a load of groceries and did not lock the screen door. She came flying out behind me in her walker, flew off the porch, darn near did a perfect flip and nearly stuck the landing, but went over just a little too far and came down on her forehead on the cement. That was the first time I thought I lost her. I died inside that day.

I feel your pain RuMR.

It's amazing how well kid's bounce. I was dropped on my head at least 3 good times as a child, and grew up to be a climber :P

...It's been so long now, but someone else will remember this post, it was by the guy who owns the brewery out in eastern Oregon.

I think it was this thread...

I am NOT going there. I have lost two nieces. to close, to painfull. Nope I am not looking at it.

It's amazing how well kid's bounce. I was dropped on my head at least 3 good times as a child, and grew up to be a climber :P

I was about 10 chairs behing my wife and daughter and saw my daughter fall out of the chair lift.

that was something like two years ago, she is fine, but I will NEVER be the same. I still get an unreal, this can not be happening to me feeling when ever I thinkg aobut it.

SWAL,

TG doesn't describe the actual event in the post; he just refers to the fact that he lost his 8-year-old daughter in a whitewater rafting accident.

Still, I am sorry for your personal loss. And TG's... Children should outlive their parents.

Oh, good to hear that. I was starting down the "bummer road" but I feel better.

Thanks,

Sobo did not mean that the child is ok...just TG didn't go into details...he did lose his child, forever...i don't know how he got himself back together...

Sorry to hear you got such a scare Rudy. That sounds horrific. My wife lost one of our kids when he was two at Bumbershoot for a few minutes. That musta been horrible.

With respect to radios, I'd suggest getting easy ones to carry (little ones) and just have them off, and teach the kids to turn them on in case of emergency. Do lots of practice with them too. Some can be a bit confusing.

One thing that works pretty well is dress those younguns in crazily bright clothes/helmet that you can pick out a mile away and in a crowd. That can prevent a lot of dread.

Oh, good to hear that. I was starting down the "bummer road" but I feel better.

Thanks,

Sobo did not mean that the child is ok...just TG didn't go into details...he did lose his child, forever...i don't know how he got himself back together...

yeah, I re read the post and realized I mis understood it. I am still not going to let myself go donwn the bummer road.

Thanks

Just thought of another story. Used to ski with this other family when our kids were like 4 or 5. One time at Crystal her son took off on one of those tree paths on the side of Queens, so the mom just stayed on the main run and waited for him to pop back out of the woods. However, unknown to her, he had taken this tree path that leaves Queens at the "toilet bowl" and head cross country all the way to top of the Quicksilver lift (he had been shown the path in a lesson). So she's waiting and waiting and he never comes back out of the woods. Needless to say she got pretty frantic.

Do lots of practice with them too. ...

One thing that works pretty well is dress those younguns in crazily bright clothes/helmet that you can pick out a mile away and in a crowd. That can prevent a lot of dread.

Sure thing on the practice. My kids love playing with them. Good call.

But the Crazily bright cloths adn Helmet is really good.

My daughter has a HOT pink outfit she wears. it is so bright your first thought is how do you get an electic extension cord to the top of the chair lift?

Edited by sirwoofalot

Oh RuMR!!!

My heart goes out to you!!

I've lost my dog for about an hour (in my own neighborhood) and absolutely flipped. I asked every stranger within a two mile radius if they'd seen him--I was screeching around on my bike hoping he woundn't get run over.

To magnify that experience by about a million for a kid makes me sick in my tummy for you. I am glad it all worked out!