Climbing Mount Hood

Krisjhn

Hi,

I am looking to summit Mount Hood in June with a few friends. I am trying to find out information on the hike. Can you recommend a site for me to read.

Also, we are considering hiring a guide. I am looking for some suggestions on a good guide for Mount Hood.

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hood is a hike? Call TMG. Please.

Come on now... There is a hike involved to get to the climb...

Some think it goes all the way up...

117272.jpeg

Great pic...I'm killing myself for not having a camera with me in 2001 to photograph the four guys in rented plastics/crampons wearing Helly Hansen rubber raingear Tops/overall's. At least their clothing was waterproof though.

Thanks for all the input. From what I am guessing Hood is a fairly straight forward hike that does not require a great deal of technical knowledge. Is that correct?

What about gear? Crampons from the photo look like they would come in handy. Is the grade steep enough to require roping together to a partner?

Thanks for all the input. From what I am guessing Hood is a fairly straight forward hike that does not require a great deal of technical knowledge. Is that correct?

What about gear? Crampons from the photo look like they would come in handy. Is the grade steep enough to require roping together to a partner?

Have you considered taking a wing up and sailing off?

That's just like flying a kite.

Maybe we could meet in person, you know, way up on the S side around 9,500' elev. I would be grateful for the opportunity to point out a few things, for example the view of the beautiful White River canyon. Just over there, yep, a little closer and you can see all the way down...

Looks pretty warm in that pic. Could I wear flip-flops, or do you think I should rent chacos?

Seriously dude. Hood is a climb, not a hike. It is however a fairly straightforward climb- with only a few crevasses, some rock and ice fall, occasional avalanches, and kind of steep exposed climbing. If you fall from from where that pic was taking you probably wouldn't die.

Technical knowledge of snow/ice protection, crevasse rescue, and roped team travel should be considered pre-requisites. If you don't have that knowledge, hire someone who does.

Seriously dude. Hood is a climb, not a hike. It is however a fairly straightforward climb- with only a few crevasses, some rock and ice fall, occasional avalanches, and kind of steep exposed climbing.

and fumaroles. fall into one of those, and you'll cook or suffocate

All of this great advice is likely to deny CC.COM another Mt. Hood forum to debate... And hey, that sheriff might get bored.