3 more missing parties...

sobo

Just got the ping about an hour ago. Total of about 7 or 8 folks in 3 separate parties missing up behind White Pass. Initial reports have it looking like adolescents and/or juveniles skiing/boarding OB somewhere in the Hogsback area. NSP is already searching, and has requested additional resources from Yakima County SAR.

The CWMR truck departs Yakivegas at 0400 Christmas morn. Merry Christmas, folks! :wave:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this on a Yakima news site. Sounds like what Sobo mentioned in the OP. Let's hope this was all who was missing!

From KNDO/KNDU website:

Skiers rescued on Christmas Eve

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 05:43 PM

Updated: Dec 25, 2007 05:43 PM

WHITE PASS, Wash -- Six skiers are safe after they went missing at the White Pass Ski Resort for over eight hours.

The young boys were skiing Monday afternoon, when two of them when off the trail. The other four followed the tracks and before long they were all lost.

Search and Rescue crews spent most of Christmas Eve looking for them and finally found them at about Mid-night.

One of the boys was taken to Harbor View Hospital in Seattle and treated for frostbite. There were no other serious injuries.

All's well. We (Central Washington Mountain Rescue) got called off before we ever left town. The NPS folks at White Pass, in conjunction with some of the Yakima County SAR Snowmobile Team members, found them and brought them out around midnight Christmas Eve/very early Christmas morning. We weren't supposed to leave until 4 hours later, so it was ultimately a "no go" for CWMR. I was able to spend Christmas with the fam after all.

The one kid is much worse off then the papers made him out to be. He was found in/near a creek, without his boots, and very nearly in end-stage hypothermia. I hope he turns out OK.

We didn't have to do anything, but thanks for all the well wishes anyway, folks! :wave:

Sobo, and all the rest of you out there who volunteer to put your lives on hold for the benefit of the rest of us, I want you to know that your efforts and willingness do not go unnoticed. I, for one, fully recognize the sacrifice that you make for the benefit of your fellow mankind. I appreciate you, and I know that others do too. THANK YOU!

Eric

The one kid is much worse off then the papers made him out to be. He was found in/near a creek, without his boots, and very nearly in end-stage hypothermia. I hope he turns out OK.

Sometimes when you hear these kinds of stories you wonder, from the luxury of your own livingroom, how this could happen.

I have been hypothermic once and a good friend of mine was lost once on a different trip, east of Crystal mountain. We both had the same experience of having difficulty keeping our gear together. Your judgement goes first. It is scarey.

I lost a glove and didn't care. My friend lost both of his and realized it. He looked back and saw them on a log about 20 yards away and almost decided not to go back for them.

We have both been back country skiing since highschool (long time ago).

I hope this guy does not suffer too much from the frostbite.

And I too am grateful to the volunteers who go out there time after time. Right on dudes! :tup:

Lots of stories have happy endings thanks to the excellent people in mountain rescue. This humble author remembers all too well his own such story and the profound gratitude for the help. Moral is: Don't forget to send a donation to your local rescue group, the next ass they save could be yours.