Hood Climbers vs Crystal Snowboarders

Blake

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's a little device needing to be invented... rather than having a trusted person at home call rescue services, you get a special cell phone with a timer that calls out at some time when you should be back, leave it somewhere close to a tower near your excursion area. It calls 911 with your prerecorded voice that says, "Help, we're in trouble out here in X, and my cell phone is about to-" bam, clock is ticking on people in trouble in the backcountry, thereby doubling or tripling the rescue efforts.

Mind if I steal this idea and market it?

rather than having a trusted person at home call rescue services, you get a special cell phone with a timer that calls out at some time

Dude the idea sucks as soon as you try and tell me that technology is smarter than a trusted human being

besides I can set up text messages on delay already

as far as the media goes its a business, more than likely the resources involved and the timing of the crystal episode just didnt mix with easier dramatic news already available..

News, like any product, must be sold. I'm sure they put a lot of thought into deciding what's going to sell, and missing snowboarders just don't make the cut. I think Sexy is right though, if the missing boarders had a cell phone to make a desperate plea for help, they'd be a better product to market.

everyone knows snowboarders are godless, degenerate, drug-smoking hippies who deserve whatever wrath gods spit out at them

everybody loves a story about innocents getting screwed though, and we climbers are sure...uh...hmmm.

perhaps if they had been accompanied by a large, wooden badger?

...In the movie, dude (played by Mark Wahlberg) opens his cell phone, looks at his best buddy from high school buried alongside him in the debris, insert shot of several bars on cell phone screen, and then his buddy nods, and Marky Mark clicks the cell phone shut.

WTF movie was that? Was it schmaltzy? Or just plain crap?

Well, my patent agent is billing me crazy on the Mountain Rescue Maximization Unit (MRMU), to be available for the spring REI catalog, but have your people call mine and they can talk licensing.

Never mind.

My people just applied for the patent.

Oh, and my lobbiests are heading for Salem now.

So here's a little device needing to be invented... rather than having a trusted person at home call rescue services, you get a special cell phone with a timer that calls out at some time when you should be back, leave it somewhere close to a tower near your excursion area. It calls 911 with your prerecorded voice that says, "Help, we're in trouble out here in X, and my cell phone is about to-" bam, clock is ticking on people in trouble in the backcountry, thereby doubling or tripling the rescue efforts.

Already been done. www.findmespot.com

Now, the question is...how long till this kind of doomahickee is going to be required if you want to step out into the boonies