[TR] Eldorado - NE Face - N Ridge Var. 10/27/2007

TrogdortheBurninator

Trip: Eldorado - NE Face - N Ridge Var.

Date: 10/27/2007

Trip Report:

Mike (colt45) and I headed up to Eldorado Friday intent on checking out the nw couloir. This was our 2nd time to eldorado, but our first time up eldo creek. The log crossing was a bit icy, and closer to the parking lot than we had inferred from the directions. The approach itself is mostly dry still, with snow starting just below treeline (mostly continuous above 6000'). My bonehead moment for the day came when I left my sunglasses in the 2nd boulder field at lunch. I realized this about 700ft too late, but not wanting to be without sunglasses on such a sunny day, and given that mike had marked our lunch spot on his gps, I jogged back down to find them. Needless to say, even with gps, everything looked exactly the same and I didnt have any luck. By chance I brought the case to my glasses with me, and it happened to have extra orange lenses in it, so I resolved to fashion some stylish new glasses out of ductape. The glasses worked well enough and we eventually gained camp at around 7500' just as the sun was setting.

CIMG4262.JPG

It was a spectacular evening with sunset and sunrise coinciding perfectly. The next two photos are taken 40 seconds apart, in opposite direction.

CIMG4265.JPG

CIMG4266.JPG

One more with the moon a little higher:

CIMG4267.JPG

The evening was spent melting snow and staring at the beautifully illuminated mountainscape.

We woke up around 5AM and were moving around 6:00. Moving on to the inspiration glacier we found that wednesdays squalls had brought considerably more snow to the region than we had anticipated (8-12").

CIMG4273.JPG

Navigating through the inspiration was mostly straightforward, however the recent snow still kept us on our toes. We gained the dean spire - eldo col (relying on the beta from Dave B's site) shortly after another beautiful sunrise.

CIMG4275.JPG

CIMG4277.JPG

we scoped the couloir and comparable aspects as best we could, but the combination of unconsolidated snow and moderate winds ultimately led us to change our plans. As a consolation we decided to climb the "north ridge". Although more of a variation to the NE face than an independent line, the views in to marble creek and the aesthetic line make for a very striking, although technically easy, route. We climbed one 60m fixed pitch so we could discuss conditions, then proceeded to simul climb the rest of the route, finishing up the classic snow arete. The route was mostly power snow punctuated by one or two slightly steeper steps of more interesting climbing.

This looked cool:

CIMG4280.JPG

Alpine ridge:

CIMG4281.JPG

"crux" step:

CIMG4286.JPG

Mike belaying up and over the summit:

CIMG4302.JPG

Camp and Glacier Peak:

CIMG4309.JPG

Descent:

CIMG4311.JPG

3rd class gully connect eldo drainage to roush drainage:

CIMG4312.JPG

Overall, this was an exceptionally enjoyable route in the current conditions and I would highly recommend it as an alternative to the oft traveled east ridge or as a backup for more technical marble creek objectives. With the current snowpack, the route protects very well and feels quite safe.

Gear Notes:

With intent of climbing NW couloir, we had and used:

2 tools each

cams from blue TCU to gold camalot

set of nuts

2 pickets

We had, but didnt use:

2 screws

5 assorted pins

Approach Notes:

Snow starts around 5000' and is mostly continuous above 6000'. Traversing in to roush creek, the boulder field provides quite a bit of postholing, however once in the roush drainage the going becomes easier. The 3rd class gully is a combination of dirt, snow, rock and grass. It is fine, but requires some attention. Inspiration glacier is in good shape.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice trip! I had such an amazing time there a few weekends ago, no more fun than it looks like you all had though. The weather and scenery have colluded with a few weekends this month rather perfectly. As a weekend warrior, I couldn't be more happy. I'm sure you guys couldn't either.

Thanks for the photos.

Edited by AllYouCanEat

We used the eldo creek approach. The rd to sibley is closed, and besides, eldo creek is much much easier. Not sure on mileage, but it was 5300 ft from car to camp, with only mayb 200 ft lost on the whole approach. Inlcuding the time spent looking for my sunglasses (~1hr), I think we spent a bit over 7 hrs on the approach. There is a log crossing for the cascade river maybe 50 ft downstream from the parking area.