Giardia!?!

Denizen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not had it but a few friends in the Bitterroot have. They were feverish and week for extended periods. All except one had diahrea for a week or more. They all continued to decline and were convinced they would die if not treated. They knew they were seriously sick. They all went in during their second or third weeks.

The medication escapes me. It is harsh and the directions for drinking water etc MUST be followed or you risk destroying your kidneys and liver.

The sooner you get it diagnosed and treated, the less chance there is of organ problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia

Good luck!

If you've had it you'd know. Basically all i remember is being in a face down, kneeling and rocking fetal ball with large-scale cramps cycling from my asshole to my throat at a rate of about once every three seconds. I remember telling the ER doc to either make it stop or kill me. Don't remember what they gave me; something for the cramps and something for the Giardia I believe.

We lived in a little town of 400 in NH with a jury-rigged water supply and a lot of beavers - never a good combination. Never again.

You'll know you have it from the smell. Horrible greasy burps and gas. Metronidazole is the treatment. It's a drug developed long ago for gram negative infections like gangrene and other anaerobic infections. Since it is prescribed so infrequently, the bugs still haven't developed a resistence to it.

quick, post the chemical diagram :grin:

The medication escapes me. It is harsh and the directions for drinking water etc MUST be followed or you risk destroying your kidneys and liver

The main medication for treating Giardia is Flagyl, also known as Metronidazole. It is taken as 500 mg three times a day for 5 days. An alternative which is now available in the US is Tinidazole. It is taken as a single 2 gram dose.

The medications are actually reasonably well tolerated from the standpoint of the kidneys and liver. The bigger problem is that you cannot drink alcohol while you take them. If you do, there is a good chance you will feel like absolute crud.

When combined with alcohol, metronidazole causes what's called a disulfiram effect. Disulfiram, also known as "Antabuse" is a medication occasionally used to help treat alcoholism. Drink alcohol while on the medication and you feel violently ill. Alcohol plus metronidazole causes a similar reation so down those beers at your own risk while on the medication.

Had it. 10 day gestation period on average. Symptoms can vary from mild to 'explosive'. Bloating, dog farts (farts that will clear dogs out of a room) nausea, the hershey squirts. It loves dairy, don't eat it. Some strains are incurable but controllable.

Go to the doc and get the cancer causing cure as quickly as you can. Or you can trot down to your nearest PCC and try to take care of it with love and understanding by gently nudging it out with doses of metamusil and meditation.

BTW, there are other water born bugs out there these days. Don't necessarily assume it's the big G.

Or you can trot down to your nearest PCC and try to take care of it with love and understanding by gently nudging it out with doses of metamusil and meditation.

There are some nudgers and some explosive cleansers. I would still like to know what specifically is recommended for giardia.

BTW, there are other water born bugs out there these days. Don't necessarily assume it's the big G.

I have been drinking water from nasty places all of my life. No serious results so far. I'm probably a carrier.

I wouldn't rely on Grandma Rainbow's naturopathic treatment. If this is a new infection, you'll want to kill this stuff if you can, because it can do very bad things to you if you don't.

The web has a bunch of stuff. A sample:

BTW: I took Flagyl to get rid of mine.

The most common treatment for giardiasis is metronidazole (Flagyl) for 5-10 days. It eradicates the Giardia more than 85% of the time, but it often causes gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea and a metallic taste as well as dizziness and headache. Despite its effectiveness, metronidazole is not approved by the FDA in the US for treatment of giardiasis.

The only drug approved for treating giardiasis in the U.S. is furazolidone (Furoxone) for 7-10 days. It is approximately as effective as metronidazole. Tinidazole is available outside the U.S. and is highly effective at treatinggiardiasis(>90%). It also can be given as a single dose and is well tolerated. Quinacrine is very effective for treating giardiasis but is no longer available in the U.S. Paromomycin and albendazole, though effective, are less effective than other treatments.

Occasionally, treatment fails to eradicate Giardia. In such cases, the drug may be changed or a longer duration or higher dose may be used. Combination therapy also may be effective (e.g., quinacrine and metronidazole).