Fatties get special treatment?

archenemy

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500AP_Diet_Obesity_Ads.html

No one is advocating public service announcements that ridicule fat people; experts say such spots would do more harm than good.

Hmm, I wonder why "experts" thought that ridiculing people with addictions other than food would do more good than harm?

not necessary to ridicule... would be cool if they made some poignant points. For example, show some cute kids asking dad to run and play catch football with them, show fat-ass dad out of breath, unable to do it, and sitting out while his kids play without him?

Anything that clearly assigns both the agency and responsibility away from inanimate objects that are eaten, to the people who choose to eat them in quantities that result in obesity would be a welcome step.

The fact that we've taken some steps towards transferring agency away from the people putting food in their mouths, and towards the food itself is not a terribly good sign.

I hear so much stuff from people that say they can't lose weight. But when I look at what they're eating, and how much of it...

I sat down in the break room to eat my lunch with two gigantic women at a place where I was working some years ago. One of them said 'Is that all you're gonna eat?' I wanted to say 'If I ate as much as you, I'd be as fat as you', but working for the state at the time, I could have been fired in a second for not being completely PC.

I just shrugged. 'Yeah.'

So transferring agency to Nicotine for smoking was not a good sign? :lmao:

Simple statements about personal virtue are rarely effective in producing change amongst people - their only product is a sense of smug selfsatisfaction in the utterer

Who is talking about virtue here? What anyone chooses to do to their own body is their business, whether that's inhaling smoke or five helpings of curly fries and washing it down with 64-oz Slurpee.

I hear so much stuff from people that say they can't lose weight. But when I look at what they're eating, and how much of it...

I sat down in the break room to eat my lunch with two gigantic women at a place where I was working some years ago. One of them said 'Is that all you're gonna eat?' I wanted to say 'If I ate as much as you, I'd be as fat as you', but working for the state at the time, I could have been fired in a second for not being completely PC.

I just shrugged. 'Yeah.'

Case in point JayB

Is it education or counterpropaganda? The airwaves are bloated with misleading food marketing on a scale so immense that it's interesting to imagine how many people's diets would completely change if television ceased to exist.

If there is anything good to come of impending fuel shortage, it will be that the humans may rediscover the ancestral arts of generating their own body heat and providing their own locomotive energy. That is, after they have razed all of the McDonald's to the ground in search of their precious burgers, fries, soda, and ice cream.