Read any Good Books Lately?

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moby Dick - a great book. I put lots of pencil notes in that one. Came away with the impression that folks are not quite as literate as they used to be back then.

I never read Moby Dick in high school or college, and remember all my class mates who read it, hated it, and bitched about it, so I never tried it. I finally picked it up two years ago, and absolutely LOVED it. Melville is a genius, and packs that novel with so much dense symbolism and references it is unbelievable. I especially enjoyed his sense of humor. It's probably my favorite classic - right up there with the Iliad and Heart of Darkness.

In college, I actually took a Summer course on Melville. I am a dork.

what you may not know is melville had a view of mt greylock (the tallest mountain in massachusetts) from the porch of his home, arrowhead. the view of mt greylock covered in snow in winter is said to have reminded melville of a great white whale, and thusly partly inspired him to write the now famous tale. i couldn't find a picture in google image search but i've seen it with my own eyes and yeah it's kinda cool.

i have kind of a short attention span but one thing i like to do is like wikipedia surfing where i take a topic i know a little about but most of what i know is wrong so i look it up in wikipedia and set myself straight and then i click the crossreferences and stumble upon lots of interesting stuff, mostly history kind of things.

I grew up with a set of encyclopedias, a dictionary, and about fifty years worth of National Geographics on the bookshelves next to my bed, and developed a similar habit. Still prefer the hard-copy format as I'm more likely to stumble over something while flipping through pages than in a directed search.

me too, i lived with my grandparents they had alot of history stuff, i use to love flipping through the national geographics. and seeing diferent animails and what not in encylopidias