VERY Warm Synthetic Parka Comparisons?

jrwclimbs

Trying to whittle down the choices out there and it seems that both the Patagonia Das Parka and the GoLite Six-Month Night are the way to go. (Any others recommended that I'm missin'?)

BUT...looking for some beta on ACTUAL use in cold, high places and technical situations. Warmth, durability, packability, pocket sizing/access, cinching, hood happiness, helmet happiness, range of motion, access to harness, hot water bottle pocket use, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks!

Also, anyone ever use the golite 1/2 vbl vest?

jr

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you might check out the wild things belay parka, I think Pro Mountain Sports has them. It won the "guides choice" award, whatever that means.

also the Integral Designs Dolomiti jacket is lighter, cheaper and probably every bit as good as any of the above. I don't know who has those.

I've used the Wild things belay jacket for ice climbing and liked it alot. It is all insulation with no useless features/weight. It packs down alot smaller than my old Lowe Alpine belay jacket (about the size of a sleeping bag stuff sack on my harness). The MEC belay jacket is also pretty good and has a dryloft shell for extra water resistance, but as mentioned before, is no longer made. Can't go wrong with the Patagonia model. I would have bought one of those if I had the extra $. I think Marmot also makes one too.

I have a Das. Really like it. Nice big hood to go over a helmet, sized large to fit over all your climbing clothes. I really like the mesh glove drying pockets on the inside for belays. Used it in New England and BC last winter and wasn't cold.

On the downside it's pretty big, if you're carrying it on multi-pitch ice routes then get a compression sack to hang off the back of your harness.

wild things belay parka - only way to go. check their website, they are having a special on last year's model. the jacket has a great cut (much better than the marmot belay parka) and an epic shell. i'd also try to stick with primaloft as it is more compressible than polarguard (not sure how it compares to the new polarguard 3d though). anyways, check out the wild things belay parka and their bouldering pants...... grin.gifgrin.gif

What are you using the parka for?

I've tested jackets with 5, 6 and 8oz PL1. For very cold multi-day conditions where the parka is being used

around camp or for long belays, I'd rather be wearing 8oz, but bulk is a big issue. For most alpine climbing

situations, 6oz would be more practical. 5oz works well for day trips or when you chose to just wear the

insulated parka all day long. 5oz is my favorite as a waterfall belay jacket.

Although I firmly believe that synthetic is the answer for climbing, not even the 8oz PL1 is anywhere near as

warm as a good baffled down jacket. The latter would be practical for prolonged ski trips in drycold, or perhaps

tourist routes on big peaks up north.

GB

According to the folks at Patagucci here in Portland, an entire shipping container of DAS parkas was stolen from the docks when they arrived in the US. Evidently, someone just drove up to the container and hooked it up to a semi, then drove away. So, look for some good deals on ebay, but expect the normal stores to have a hard time getting them.

I was just surfing the sale at www.wildthingsgear.com and noticed the Denali jacket is on sale for $200.00, just $20.00 more than the Belay jacket. Anywho, it's 8oz heavier, and it's got a "real" shell, but you might check it out if you're looking for a do everything type belay parka. That sucker looks substantial!

Personally, I have several insulating layers for different weather & conditions that I probably paid a total of $200 for.

Big old Eddie Bauer down parka. Been in -30f weather standing around and warm. However, the shell is 60/40 cotton/nylon so I have to be careful with that potentially big problem in this climate especially. Oh yeah, it weighs in at about 3.5 lbs!

LL Bean primaloft hooded jacket. I think it's got about 4-oz of fill based on comparing it with other jackets. It's my primary winter climbing jacket, but hood won't fit over my helmet.. madgo_ron.gif and the DWR seems to be toast already (1 season).

Sierra Designs lite primaloft jacket without hood. nice lightweight layer to stow in the pack if I (or partner) end up underdresssed for conditions. fits under either of the above coats or just a shell. This combo (lite prima and shell) actually is great down to about 20 f and is more versitle than just the LL which seems to be good down to about the same temp.

With Temps below that, the LL would get layered over the SD which I haven't gotten to test out, but, I imagine it's good to about 0f. If it's colder than that, the big ole' down parka comes out.

That being said, I'd trade the LL Bean and Eddie Bauer for any of the Wild things parkas (anyone?)as the Denali and Belay are designed for climbers and have a better shell in case you get wet, and you will get wet especially in winter around here. snaf.gif

Your friend

Bronco

aka: the KING of coats, at least according to my wife.

Edited by Bronco

I have the Men's Puff Jacket from Patagucci and it is great jacket even in the regular –20° on NE Mount Washington and the normal 50 MPH wind there it kept me warm on top of the other garment I was wearing I highly recommend it I got mine for $80 on sale up on lake placid But if u to pay full price go with the belay jacket from Wild things its worth it

Geek_em8.gif

I've been trying to figure this out too - the ones I've tried on are the Cloudveil Enclosure Mountain Parka, the Marmot one, the Wild Things Belay Jacket and the Arcteryx Fission-whichever-is-thicker.

I liked the Arcteryx best, it's awesome but it costs a fortune, and the Cloudveil second best. The Wild Things Belay Jacket is cool except the fit wasn't great for me. I have no use for that Marmot thing, the cut is odd and the smallest size is good for a midsize Sasquatch.

Wish MEC hadn't stopped making their Belay Parka :wazzup: madgo_ron.gifmoon.gif

Edited by fleblebleb

I think I'm gonna try one of the Golite six-month night parkas...they are in the bargain basement now at $109.

I bought an overshirt from golite for running. When I got it, I thought, what a piece of shit for $40...there's nothing to it and it's gonna rip. Turns out it's warm, extr.light, and I love it (the orange faded a little after a couple of washings though).

Be sure you try on the Six Month Night Parka before you buy. I had my mind set on it and then I wore it. It is stiff and bulky. The Marmot was cut like a circus tent. The DAS was nice but out of all of the belay parkas I tried on the Wild Things had the best fit and cleanest lines and was the most compressible. I bought it and have not regretted the decision. Can't vouch for the warmth, cause I have not had it out in real cold weather yet. The main difference is the Wild Things is made of Primaloft while the others are Polarguard. The DAS also has less insulation in the sleeves than the body. Just from trying on all of the jackets, I would guess the Wild Things is warmer than the DAS. The Six Month for sure would be the warmest, but I would hate to pack it.