high quality backpacks

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild Things are way over-priced. If you can survive the bill though they are not bad. I have broken one zipper and ripped out one strap on mine but I routinely over-load the thing. They place weight over durability on zippers, so they are flimsy little things.

I got a McHale last year for a price I could have gotten 2 or 3 other brands for. I took a day off work, drove up to have Dan show me the packs and take measurements, then I forked out a whole lotta cash. A few weeks later got the pack in the mail. I am glad I did. Sure, some of the price difference is because it is not made in a 3rd world country (not that there is anything wrong with that) but the quality is the main reason for the price diff. It is comfortable and bomber.

BTW I got the Wild Things Andinista and it is not a bad pack, but agree with the others it probably is not worth the price.

quote:

Originally posted by spacely:

Sure, some of the price difference is because it is not made in a 3rd world country (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Are you saying there's nothing wrong with child labour [Eek!][Roll Eyes] . Thread drift, thread drift. we need gremlin fishing or trolling.

um, if you're considering getting a McHale pack CUSTOMBUILT to your absolute specs, to your back size, and every littlefeature you want, any option you want, and nothing you don't, in just the fabric you prefer, i kinda think it's a nobrainer, dude!!! [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

every little feature you want, any option you want, and nothing you don't

Have you ever bought a pack from Dan McHale? To say the least, he has very strong ideas about what is right for one of his packs. I am a big fan of his stuff, but if you think you can walk in there and ask for features that he doesn't approve of, you have the wrong shop.

you are right Matt, I should ove clarified in first post- McHale packs offers the MOST options in any fabric you want and offers such bombproof durability and heavy load handling in a CUSTOMMADE pack, the consumer that's already looking in this direction should just go out and get one. you want a big pack, a small pack.. Mchale probably gives a consumer 7,500 individual component variations in a backpack that's custom fitted to the consimer...and you're right , I don't own one...I think his harness system is kinda manky

I was looking at McHale's web site the other night... Insanely expensive!!! Do those that own them really think their worth the 2-3x price tag?

Seem to me if you buy the a heavy but super durable McHale you'll probably get your moneys worth out of it but if you get something more light weight then the durability of the fabric, as opposed to the construction, is going to come into play. I guess it also depends if you have a back that fits off the shelf packs (I've always used unframed, unadjustable packs and not really had a problem)

Check out Serratus packs too. I don't own one (yet) but have carried one for a bit and was pretty impressed with it. The Aladin 2 compares pretty favourably with the much hyped Arc'teryx Nozone, being both lighter and cheaper.

Feedback appreciated... My British built Pod sack is slowly dying after ten years. Awsome sack, light, bomber design and no crappy gizmos. If I want another one I'll have to order it from across the pond without trying it on.

[ 11-01-2002, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Ade ]

I think the McHale pack that I currently carry is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever carried, and I don't know why Beck would say the harness systems are "manky." The harness system on my pack is indeed much simpler than just about any other pack made, with no load stabilizers from the top of the shoulders, no adjustment toggles for the height that the shoulder straps take off from the pack bag, and no plastic stiffeners or aerodynamic form-fitted foam. It looks crude next to something made by Arcteryx or Dana Designs, but it is very effective at transferring the weight where I want it (to my hips, most of the time) without causing bed sores. And it is also very stable for skiing.

For lighter loads I have other packs, but any time I am carrying camping gear and a rack, or even if it is just a large pile of hardware, I take the McHale. And with those kinds of loads, I am not concerned that my pack (empty) weighs two pounds more than the one my partner has (I didn't get one with the lighter fabric). On these kind of trips, I am concerned with comfort and I like the fact that it is tough as nails.

The price is an issue, however. Is it worth 2x or 3x as much as another pack? I don't know. If you're looking at other brands, I'd consider the Lafuma and Millet, as recommended by Jens, because they tend to have less crap all over them than most brands on the market here. Skip the crampon patch, funny straps, and snow shovel slot.

i too have one of those fancy mchale packs [Wazzup] - best packs made, period [rockband] .

i have the super SARC and will be getting a zero SARC in the next year. they do look a bit analogue compared to the new space-age packs but load up one of his larger packs with 70lbs and you will become a believer. take a look at one and turn it inside out - look at the workmanship. an abundance of stitching - most seams on the pack could hold the weight of the full pack, whereas some companys have trouble doing this with the haul loop.

go to his shop (with your checkbook), load up a a pack and get your order in so you can have it before next summer [laf] .

I had Dan build a stripped down, light weight SARC with a skinny hip belt for me a few years back. This was prior to his new line of light packs. After years of use there is NO wear. In contrast, I picked up a Black Diamond Ice Pack recently. After only two easy trips, no hauling, squeeze chimneys, there are tears and holes in the fabric. Dan uses superior raw materials and his workman ship is unbeatable.

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

quote:

every little feature you want, any option you want, and nothing you don't

Have you ever bought a pack from Dan McHale? To say the least, he has very strong ideas about what is right for one of his packs. I am a big fan of his stuff, but if you think you can walk in there and ask for features that he doesn't approve of, you have the wrong shop.

That's very true Matt.

I also have a McHale SARC that I've used for about a year and I love it. I think that the harness system is the best feature of the pack. It feels better than any other pack I've carried. I use the McHale on nearly every trip I do so it's worth it for me to have something that fits, feels and works so well.

On the other hand, a friend of mine says that for $500 he could hire an energetic high school kid to carry all of his gear for a whole season or two and that would feel even better on his back. [laf]

Col. i bought the R-60 before it got discontinued and it has smaller waist band and less 'stuff' it is about a pound lighter than the other seratus bags...still not a lightweight, but for that price and durablilty, i would carry the extra 1/2-1 lb....tyoo bad they discontinued that model...freaking workhorse...

quote:

Originally posted by Ade:

I was looking at McHale's web site the other night... Insanely expensive!!! Do those that own them really think their worth the 2-3x price tag?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

The main differences are:

-custom fit

-better design

-better materials

-better construction

-custom features/colors/etc

Sitting next to the sexy contraptions from Arc'teryx, TNF, Osprey, Dana, etc they do have a "homemade" look to them. Rest assured that they are worth the money, and they can easily be made as light or lighter than more production packs.

Fundamentally you have to start recognizing that what drives modern pack design is marketing and cost reduction NOT what is the most effective load carrying system. We are in a society that can send humans into space with relative ease. What it takes to build comfortable, effective suspension systems (including the ones people are calling funky looking) is clearly known. The problem is that all the top companies (listed above) keep chasing this moving target of "what might sell next year" and gain a bigger market share. Dan McHale (cantankerous fellow that he is) simply does not go down that path, ergo his stuff **looks** ancient. The truth is that it is the most effective system (bag design, suspension design, etc) on the planet and ever since he stumbled on it many years ago there hase been absolutely no reason to change.

Expensive, yes. In comparison to all of the other packs I have owned:

-2 Dana Designs

-1 Arc'teryx

-1 Gregory

-2 Mountainsmith

I wish I had just bought one of his to begin with.

Cheers

Shawn

quote:

I don't own one...I think his harness system is kinda manky

One more thing,

Note that the majority of the folks who knock on McHale packs do it on the basis of looks.

And worse yet...

They have never personally used/tried one.

I am not trying to rag on Beck, but think critically here folks.

Think FUNCTION(!) not looks. I will admit that I was hugely skeptical of this guy's packs at first, but after some friends convinced me to take a trip to his shop, try his stuff on, and learn the "how and why", my opinion was forever changed. I will not go back to the masses.

The good thing about having spent all that money on other packs is that I can sell them to finance my next mchale. [big Grin]

Cheers [big Drink]

[ 11-06-2002, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Ibex ]