Homemade Clif Shot substitute

rodeo

Hey all,

I'm looking at making an attempt at providing my own supply of a "Clif Shot" type substance.

So far I've located the brown rice syrup, potassium citrate, kola nut extract, sea salt and natural flavors.

All I need to find now is a retail outlet for the citric acid and magnesium oxide. Anyone have any leads on this stuff?

Any assistance is appreciated and I will be posting the results, recipes and ingredient acquisition info upon completion.

(--Climb on,,,

"Action suit? You don't need one of those. Here. Drink this gu-like substance I made up at home in the bathtub."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by rodeo:

Hey all,

I'm looking at making an attempt at providing my own supply of a "Clif Shot" type substance.

So far I've located the brown rice syrup, potassium citrate, kola nut extract, sea salt and natural flavors.

All I need to find now is a retail outlet for the citric acid and magnesium oxide. Anyone have any leads on this stuff?

Any assistance is appreciated and I will be posting the results, recipes and ingredient acquisition info upon completion.

(--Climb on,,,

"Action suit? You don't need one of those. Here. Drink this gu-like substance I made up at home in the bathtub."

Kevin, I can get you anything you want, send me a PM.

you can get citric acid and Magnesium oxide (chalk) at a beer brewing store. Pretty cheap too, seeing as you'll only need a pinch.

make sure you use a flavor strong enough to cover up the brown rice syrup. That's why cliff shot doesn't (well, not last time I checked) come in flavors like orange.

quote:

Originally posted by dbb:

you can get citric acid and Magnesium oxide (chalk) at a beer brewing store. Pretty cheap too, seeing as you'll only need a pinch.

make sure you use a flavor strong enough to cover up the brown rice syrup. That's why cliff shot doesn't (well, not last time I checked) come in flavors like orange.

I read somewhere that Gin helps.

Nothing really TLG. Unless you want to pay way more than you need to.

It's mostly just a matter of being self-sufficient on my part, along with seeing if I can build a better mousetrap of my own. I figure I can come up with nearly the same recipe and get more shots per dollar this way. [Wink]

I like the Clif recipe best due to the makeup and the time it takes to enter the bloodstream. (Shown here http://home3.inet.tele.dk/starch/isi/starch/ricesyrup.htm )

Bring on the gu [big Drink]

Thanks for the link freeclimb. I'll try that recipe as well.

(--Climb on,,,

[ 10-30-2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: rodeo ]

quote:

Originally posted by COL. Von Spanker:

I read somewhere that Gin helps.

The gin, or some other booze, is to counteract the off flavour of maltodextrin, if you're using that.

You probably don't need that if you're using brown rice syrup, since it tastes ok, just really strong...

quote:

skip them and just take a multivitamin once a day?

I think that the first person to make a Snickers Bar with vitamins and minerals plus some other good unflavored additives will be the next billionaire.

Really, how many of us worry about our weight at times that we are eating this stuff. A lot of fat? Mmmmmmmm. [rockband]

When I am cold and tired, eating one of these commercial things is like trying to swallow a mouthfull of worms (I would think [Roll Eyes] )

quote:

Originally posted by btowle:

I think that the first person to make a Snickers Bar with vitamins and minerals plus some other good unflavored additives will be the next billionaire.

What do you think the Cliff Bar "Ice" series is?

The Cliff "Mojo" bar blurs the line even more.

quote:

[QBI think that the first person to make a Snickers Bar with vitamins and minerals plus some other good unflavored additives will be the next billionaire.

[/QB]

Many others have thought the same. Thus, that's why there's tons of "functional food" products on the market. Something like a Snickers Bar? Snacbar, called "the world's first healthy candy bar", Twinlab IRONMAN Triathlon Nutrition Bar, Balance Gold, and on and on.

I haven't tried Gu-like substances, but have been experimenting with clif-bar-type recipes.

These are ones I've played with:

http://davedraper.com/protein-bar-recipe.html

http://davedraper.com/nutrition-bar-recipe.html

I find that splitting the brown rice syrup with some honey or molasses makes the bar a bit sweeter- also, add some applesauce or a bit more orange juice to help cut the chalkiness of the protein powder. Grinding part of the nuts down into a coarse flour helps add to the flavor, as well, especially with hazelnuts or pecans.

quote:

Ice series? Better but still chalk. I want gooey fat. I haven't tried the Mojo stuff. I see others have suggested that there may be stuff out there that might be what I am looking for. So far the Power Bar, Clif Bar, Gu, Luna stuff isn't it.

I want chocolate, nuts, sweet gooey stuff, vitamins, minerals. Protein? Add more nuts.

I generally use this stuff when I want something light, but nourishing. 1000 cal's? Great!! Lots of fat? Even better!! Maybe mayo on a snickers bar!! [rockband]

I will try some the above suggestions.

Just so you know, I've recently abandoned my homemade GU (brownrice sryup w/hershey's sryup). I'm starting to get the gag reflex...kinda like one too many bowls of instant oatmeal (I'm gonna puke thinking about that). I tried making the real GU...totally horribly foul, and adding more vitamins, etc. to the brown rice sryup (blech!).

I've been using hammergel now. It comes in a huge bottle (24 oz) and cost between $14-17. It also comes w/a free 4oz flask. At least it's cheaper than gu or cliffshot and tastes way better than my homemade horrorshow.

I just eat a multivitamin for breakfast and dinner now. If I go do the Emporer Face or Checz-Direct I will be the first to buy actual Gu.

[ 10-31-2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: michael_layton ]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

quote:

I must say, the Cliff Mojo bars are fantastic. The best flavor is the Salsa Peanut, followed by Curry Cashew and Honey BBQ.

If you are tired of the standard "fruit-nut-chocolate-but still tastes like ass" bar, give these a try. They are also a different texture, drier than power/cliff bars, but "coarser" than a granola bar.

Good stuff

[HORSECOCK]

yeah we tried a few demo ones of these a while back and they are actually quite good (read: i would eat them even if i hadn't jsut climbed for 30 hours straight with nothing to eat)...seriously though...very good with original flavors...if i ever eart another chocolate flavored anything it will be too soon...