• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

geez dude, you still without wheels of the motorized variety? suks

naw i got it kinda fixed i think....i have never worked on a newer vehicles electrical system....to say one thing though it aint like any of my previous vw vans!!!!!

still not sure what the malady is, but i got da fawker jimmy rigged!!!!!

need to lose the fatness that why i am riding my bike.....

though i will never shave my legs!!!!! again

Cribbed from the Underground Terrorist Motorcycle Cult page (http://www.blackletter.org/)

Why Cars Need To Be More Dangerous

by: Reverend Jon

By now, most of you who are reading this have cars with antilock brake systems (ABS), a clever innovation which detects when the brakes have locked and modulates them automatically to prevent loss of traction. Truly a marvel of technological sophistication, the average ABS is a fantastically complicated bit of machinery, loaded with sensors & equipped with a microprocessor which can store literally hundreds of different error codes, should anything go wrong with the equipment. So, what effect has the widespread use of ABS had on accident statistics? Zippo. Nada. Big goose egg. OK, then, why the hell don't they take them out?

Those of us in the engineering profession tend to want to believe that every problem can be solved with technology. We would like to think that we can make a car which is so sophisticated, so automatic, that it will make even the biggest numbnuts on earth drive like Mario Andretti. So we load cars up, to the tune of $10,000, with safety features like ABS, airbags, impact crumple zones and daytime running lights.

Trouble is, the problem is not, nor has it ever been, the safety of the cars. The problem is still, as it has always been, the safety of the dickhead behind the wheel. In fact, all of these supposed safety features might be counterproductive, since they tend to give the driver a feeling of invulnerability. (Picture some yuppie moron who thinks that an SUV can corner like a sportscar, saying in a Superman-like voice, "I can drive like an asshole; I've got antilock brakes!")

So, how do we make cars safer? Simple. First, take out all the seat belts, air bags, crumple zones and ABS crap. Next, put an eight inch steel spike in the center of the steering column. Maybe have the spike emit a faint humming sound at random intervals, just so you don't forget that it's there. This is also appealing from a Darwinian natural-selection viewpoint, since the chronic tailgaters/rear-enders would undoubtedly be the first ones to get spiked. Imagine the bloody horror show right on the 11:00 news; a young stockbroker-type in a spotless new Ford Explorer, slumped over the steering wheel with a razor-sharp steel tip protruding from his back, viscera and gore spattered all over the windshield and soaked into the upholstery... Now that would make cars safer!