The Holy Trip Report Commandments

Moses!

Thou Hast Raised the Wrath of the Lord Feeble Ones!

moses.jpg

Moses! shalst Remind thee:

The Trip Report Commandments:

I. Thou shalt not beateth thy chest

II. The TR database shall not serveth as a personal climbing resume sayeth the lord

III. Thou shalt not post cragging trip reports to local areas (exit 38, Index, Vantage, Smith etc...), unless such trip reports focus on the current conditions of a particular route(s) or new routing

IV. Thou shalt refrain from excessive reference to grades in a chest beating manner

V. Thou shalt not use/over-apply such adjectival run-out grades as R/X until consensus deems necessary

VI. Thou shalt not over-hype new routes, nor have others do it for you

VII. Thou shalt use the TR database primarily for the CONCISE and SUCCINCT reportage of new routes, seldom visited areas, and/or of current conditions of exiting routes

VIII. Grades of new routes are suggestions until such time that consensus is reached."Hard 5.9" is always a safe bet sayeth the lord.

IX. "Stoke" shall not be invoked as a means of circumventing the anti-chest beating commandment

X. Hiking/Camping TRs may be submitted elsewhere on the web

XI. Trip Reports to popular climbing areas/routes (ie The Nose) must be kept to a minimum with the focus being on HIGH QUALITY photography, this is also known as the "hey, look what I'm doing while you're at work -TR" commandment. Personal websites may serveth such devious purposes.

XII. Thou shalt not spray on others TRs

XIII. The "on-sight" shall be assumed in TRs of new routes when style is discussed unless the FA party states other wise, thus eliminating excessive chest beatery. Non-reportage of falls, redpointing, french-freeing, aiding etc... in TRs, particularly in regards to new routes shall receive the full wrath of the lord.

XIV. Bouldering TRs shall not be thusly posted sayeth the lord

XV. Thou shalt refrain from excessive condemnation of "the Mountaineers", as many of the multitude could useth some formal training

XVI. Thou shalt always err on the side of "non-ego" when creating a TR and when such doubt is raisethed, save it for thy personal web-site

XVII. Thou shalt refrain from using such adjectives as "remote" when powered craft are used during the approach

XVIII. The Greater community may and shall addeth and subtracteth to the Commandments as necessary

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Moses! :wave: I remember reading your TR a while back. Exodus was classic: your FA of Mt Sinai, the plagues, being lost in the desert for 40 years... Nice write up. :tup: :tup:

....all On-Sights.

I. Thou shalt not beateth thy chest

Just saying...

III. Thou shalt not post cragging trip reports to local areas (exit 38, Index, Vantage, Smith etc...), unless such trip reports focus on the current conditions of a particular route(s) or new routing

Darn, I was just working on a TR of a guided family climb to Smith I took this morning with kids ages 4-11. Guess I'll have to find another climbing site to post it at :( Can anyone suggest another climbing site for this newbie to use?

Edited by rmncwrtr

Nice parody - intentional or not - of all of the precious wanks who feel compelled to venture such critiques in a spirit that suggests that they've been forcibly compelled to read the TR's submitted by others and are thus entitled to certain considerations on the author's part.

I have a helpful set of commandments of my own that I will humbly submit for Moses and his ilk:

1. If you see a trip report that does not interest you, ignore it.

2. If by some accident you happen to find yourself in the midst of a TR that does not appeal to you for any reason, avail yourself of the "back" button on your browser and move onto something else.

Shalom.

I have a helpful set of commandments of my own that I will humbly submit for Moses and his ilk:

1. If you see a trip report that does not interest you, ignore it.

2. If by some accident you happen to find yourself in the midst of a TR that does not appeal to you for any reason, avail yourself of the "back" button on your browser and move onto something else.

Shalom.

Amen!

More TRs, regardless or quality and content, is a good thing IMHO.